Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Installation problems
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:55 pm 
Newbie Contributor

We had 1200 SQFT of prefinished Bamboo installed on concrete about 6 weeks ago and are experiencing problems with cupping/buckling in one of the rooms.

The installer came out on Friday and tried to blame a couple of things.

The installer now thinks it is a problem with an artificial pond outside our apartment. Their solution to the problem is to sand down the floor and refinish it.

When the floor went down I requested we put down Bostiks MVP in addition to Bosticks Best. The installer was adament it was not needed and Bostiks Best has MVP built in. I quoted a message from this board that "MVP is cheap insurance" but they insisted against it and believed it to be hog wash.

I think the source of what is damaging the floor needs to resolved but they say the damage has been done and that sanding down is the answer.

I believe that the installer is responsible as I tried to get them to put MVP down and they absolutely disagreed and said they had done 1000s of jobs without problem. We had a tight schedule before we moved in and I didn't have time to go with another installer so I trusted their expertise. Obviously now it is looking like a bad decision.

I have a feeling this is going to get ugly and I would appreciate any advice.

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:48 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Did they moisture test the concrete slab? If not, then they should have. And why should someone listen to an installer instead of the manufacturer, in this case, Bostick's. Common sense would indicate that if MVP and Bostick's Best were exactly the same thing, then why even make MVP? And warranty it? They are similar, but "similar" and the "same" mean different things. Besides, a moisture test would have indicated that the concrete in that room was too wet. But since they installed the floor, they accepted the substrate as adequate (just fine, dandy, peachy keen, good to go, etc.). This makes them liable for the installation, according to most states comsumer statutes. If it were me, I would DEMAND the cupped flooring be removed and new flooring reinstalled at their expense. You will pay for the cost of using MVP this time, as you would have the first time so your cost outlay will be no more than what it should have been in the begining if using MVP. Sanding a cupped floor is a not recommended per NOFMA if the floor is still wet (elevated moisture content).
http://www.nofma.org/Portals/0/Publicat ... owning.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:36 pm 
Newbie Contributor

They did not do any of the things that are standard. The sub floor preperation was as good as non existant.

I have called an inspector who quotes $750 for an inspection with pictures and a report. Based on my search on here that seems high, the last quote I saw listed was $350 but I guess it varies significantly depending on locaiton.

We live in So California and the company who did the install are saying they will fix the issue but nothing has happened yet while they are "waiting to see the extent of the cupping once it has settled".

Nathan