Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Installer Left Rubber Mallet Scuffs EVERYWHERE!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:50 pm 
New User

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum before. I'd really like some advice though!

Hi,

I just had 400 sq. ft of Sheoga clear ash prefinished hardwood installed. The guys were super quick - three hours. I thought they were cutting corners, but didn't know. It looks straight and tight. But they left rubber mallet scuff marks all over the floor. I asked about it and they said it would come up with a mop.

Anyway, I've been on my hands and knees with a tennis ball, rag, water & vineger, and now an eraser, longer than it took them to install the wood. The marks come up, but if you look closely, you can see slight discoloration. I am LIVID!

Is this normal? A sign of a lazy installer? (The guy had 16 years of experience and came with good referrals) The last time I had hardwood installed (same product, three months ago in an addition) this didn't happen.

Any tips on how to get my brand new floor looking like something other than a basketball court?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:59 pm 
Prized Contributor

If you can't remove them with water and vinegar, have you tried mineral spirits??

I have never had my rubber mallet leave scuffs, and I have beat the crap out of some subborn gluedown wood.

I don't know what else to tell you, except to call the guys back and have them clean the mess they left.

Post subject: Re: Ken, Mineral Spirits
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:09 pm 
New User

I have not tried mineral spirits. I'm currently using a pencil eraser, which is really hard work! I was afraid for the finish, but suppose I can use a test piece.

Well, his mallets really left the wood scuffed up - big black spots in some places that do rub off, but leave a greyish discolored mark beneath them.

I called him twice - he told me to use 409 cleaner on it. But Sheoga (great product and people by the way, I highly recommend) told me not to use anything by vinegar and water.

Anyway, this sure is frustrating. This didn't happen with the last install, which took two guys 8 hours (260 sq. feet). But they were trim carpenters and took their time. These dudes were floor guys - it's all they do, and they move quick.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:22 pm 
Valued Contributor

Is this Nailed or Glued?
I ask only to suggest that what you may be seeing is adhesive residue, not mallet marks........... IF the wood is glued down.
If that be the case,,, Mineral Spirits. :P

Post subject: They are nailed....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:28 pm 
New User

...no glue here. These are mallet marks to be sure - I saw them appear as the floor went down, expressed some concern, but was told not to worry. He rubbed one out quickly with his finger and said "see, right off." But if I looked closer I would have seen a greyish discoloration where the scuff was.

Oh, boy, am I burning mad! I really liked these guys - 16 years in the business, three months on his own, trying to establish himself, good references from five people (one of whom is now upset with him for screwing up my floor, but anyway).

But my wife and I shouldn't be spending our Friday night on the floor of our brand new hardwood floor with pencil erasers, water and vinegar!

Post subject: Is there a recommended cleaner?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:43 pm 
New User

I'm worried about mineral spirits on my new finish. Is there anything else you'd recommend? I found a product called ULTRA CITRA KLEEN that I was thinking of buying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:43 pm 
Prized Contributor

There is the problem... Black mallet, which is not as soft as a white faced mallet.

I can see it leaving marks just like boot heel scuffs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:50 pm 
Prized Contributor

Mineral spirits will not harm the finish. Don't let a puddle of it sit on the floor overnite. It is considered "Natures Solvent"

A wash cloth with just a little mineral spirits on it. Not dripping. Wipe the scuff in different directions, and then use a dry towel and buff the area and residue. Mineral spirits disapates fast.

DON'T USE PAINT THINNER, it is not mineral spirits.

When I am finishing up a job, I will wipe /tack & then vaccum the entire floor, and looking for things like that. I guess that is one thing that seperates me from my competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:26 pm 
Valued Contributor

Yes..
Keyword: gray color on the floor.
Black Mallet.......... Don't remember every having a black mallet when I was installing ...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 pm 
New User

Well, we just spent four hours with pencil erasers and have rubbed most of it off. There are still greyish spots, and even mineral spirits don't seem to work. I am mightily ticked off about this, but I wonder if there's anything I can do. I paid cash for the job, so I doubt I'll get any money back. And the floor is acceptable, even though my eyes will always wander to the dozens of small spots that my wife and I will know are there.

I can't believe this guy, who's done countless floors, hasn't had people complaining about this kind of thing before. I mean, if he did, you'd think he'd switch to another mallet or watch out for it. There's no need to make an easily avoidable mistake over and over, especially when it means lots of calls from angry homeowners!

Anyway, thanks for all of your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:45 pm 
Prized Contributor

I don't understand his reasoning for beating on the face of the prefinished boards, in a nail down installation? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:53 pm 
New User

These guys were using nailer/staplers whatever - I don't know. But my sense is they were knocking on the tops as they hammered it in, leaving big ugly marks all over the place. Ughhh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:35 pm 
Valued Contributor

Wonder what they were using for a Nailer or Stapler??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:10 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I would have to say that it was probably the Harbor Freight Stapler. It comes with a black rubber mallet which I used to install my floor. It will leave a few marks if you miss the board. It sounds like these guys were in a hurry and missed the board a lot. All scuffs did come off of my floor with a simple wipe with cloth and maybe some spit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:16 pm 
Newbie Contributor

As you mention this is all so evident, why did you pay them until it was finished to your satisfaction? Especially cash! Do you ever wonder if the quality of work goes down when you pay cash?