Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Installing around a stone edge
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:43 pm 
New User

We are planning on laying hardwood flooring in our living room but we have a problem and can't think of, or find, any type of solution. We have a woodburning stove in the living room. Under it is stone, and it does not have even edges. What can we do when laying the planks around the stone to make it easier? Is it possible to trim the planks without ruining them? This one area just seems like it's going to be a lot of trouble.

Edit* Ooooops, I think this is in the wrong thread. Hopefully one of the mods can move it for me. Sorry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:12 pm 
Prized Contributor

Undercut the stone, so the wood fits underneath for a clean crisp look. There are picture here someplace that show how and with what(diamond blade)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 pm 
New User

Thanks....I like that idea. What kind of saw do you use? You mentioned a diamond blade.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:38 pm 
Prized Contributor

www.CrainTools.com , and click on specialty saws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:14 pm 
New User

Thanks again. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:33 am 
Prized Contributor

You can hire this out to someone who knows how to do it. Figure on 275 to 350 for an average hearth. The tools will cost more than that. These photos show one way of undercutting masonry hearths. http://www.custom-surfaces.com/23.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:39 am 
New User

Thanks for that tip. The video helps a lot. We were thinking of looking into possibly renting the tools for the job....if they are available. That might be a more affordable choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:42 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Jerry wrote:
You can hire this out to someone who knows how to do it. Figure on 275 to 350 for an average hearth. The tools will cost more than that. These photos show one way of undercutting masonry hearths. http://www.custom-surfaces.com/23.html

I'm not sure if I did it "wrong", but I used my 4.5" angle grinder ($50 give or take) and a serrated diamond blade from harbor freight (3 for $10) to cut my brick. I then used a masonry chisle to break the brick off below the cut. Worked great and was way less that $275.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:12 pm 
Prized Contributor

Dave Hardy wrote:

I'm not sure if I did it "wrong", but I used my 4.5" angle grinder ($50 give or take) and a serrated diamond blade from harbor freight (3 for $10) to cut my brick. I then used a masonry chisle to break the brick off below the cut. Worked great and was way less that $275.

That's what I used, before I upgraded. While at Harbor freight, get one of there $9 angle grinders, and the blade. It is a dusty mess!

The only thing about that is the small 4" diamond blade. It doesn't reach under enough, when it is rough limestone rock and not a staight flat surface your running it against, like brick would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:27 pm 
Prized Contributor

Brick or cultured stone is a picnic compared to chiseling real stone. That's what I figure in my estimates and I get the work, but in all honesty no one has asked me yet to do just the hearth cutting.

Using the Crain 812 or the newer version of the 820 does not make much dust. No tenting required. Usually folks don't want dust all inside their house.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:59 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Yeah - it makes since that brick would cut easier. Fair point. If yours collects the dust , that might be worth the $275 alone for a pro, even if it doesn't cut better. I had red brick dust EVERYWHERE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:46 am 
Prized Contributor

Dave, undercutting fireplaces is the only reason I bought the Crain 812 and the diamond blade. I don't use it for nothing else, and hooked up to a good vac (Fein,Porter-Cable,ect.) there is minimal dust. I'm as clean after I cut as I was before. That sounds far fetched but it works for me. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have a half dozen 4in Felker diamond blades if anyone could use them. I have serrated, turbo, and continuous rim. They are all new in the package. I'll never use them.

Holy Moses! It's like Christmas or sumpm. hehee

I'm serious, by the way. If anyone wants them, let me know.