Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: installing bamboo...help!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:54 pm 
New User

i am about to attempt to install bamboo floors in a room that was an add on to our house. the floor right now is concrete. i have not been able to find enough info on this process and was hoping that someone on this message board has experience with this. do i need a subfloor or can i just put the glue down on the concrete. i've read alot about bostic's glue but someone told me that all glue's are the same & to just get any eurethen glue at home depot. is there anything else that is important to know before i tackle this. any advice would be appreciated! thanks!

PS. i live in st. petersburg, florida

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:23 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Moisture tset the concrete slab BEFORE installing the bamboo

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... esting.htm

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... n-prep.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:26 pm 
New User

would saran wrap be sufficient to test for moisture? if there is moisture, then i will need to add plank floors & a moisture barrier? the room i plan on installing the floors in is 375 sq feet. is it possible to do this job by myself or will i need an assistant? this little project is starting to feel not so 'little' anymore. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:55 am 

All I can say is a direct glue down to concrete is the most demanding hardwood install there is. And the type that has the most failures and problems. My recommendation is hire a pro if you are not confident. The money will be well spent if you get a good installer. Ken here is from Florida and can hook you up perhaps. PM him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:05 pm 
New User

thank you gary for your all your advice. i am going to check into finding an installer. do you have any idea what a fair price would be on a room that is 300 sq ft? my fear is that i'd pay all this money for someone to install it & they don't have a clue or they take short cuts. i don't know anyone that has had wood floors installed to ask for recommendations. well, thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:46 pm 

Direct glue down of 300 ft should cost about $1,000.00 to $1,500.00. Should include adhesive. There could by extra charges to fix the slab or seal it. Here is a link to NWFA contractors in Florida. I waded through it and saw some in St. Petersburg. I'd call them.

http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/find ... FL&param2=