Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Installing Floor on Catwalk Hallway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:56 pm 
Valued Contributor

TominKY wrote:
JIMMIEM wrote:
The stair nosing is essentially a piece of flooring that has a rounded nose. If it wants to expand it will take the path of least resistance which is in the direction of its nosing so it won't be trying to move something that shouldn't be moved e.g. a wall, or pipe, etc.

So just so I am clear, you are saying that it should be OK to butt the flooring right up against the moldings that the OP was talking about, right? If not, please correct me. :)

If the flooring manufacturer's instructions call for expansion gaps then it would NOT be ok to butt the flooring tight up against the moldings. This would essentially have the flooring trapped between the moldings and if the flooring were to expand the boards would get wider and push against the moldings.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:30 pm 
New User

JIMMIEM wrote:
TominKY wrote:
JIMMIEM wrote:
The stair nosing is essentially a piece of flooring that has a rounded nose. If it wants to expand it will take the path of least resistance which is in the direction of its nosing so it won't be trying to move something that shouldn't be moved e.g. a wall, or pipe, etc.

So just so I am clear, you are saying that it should be OK to butt the flooring right up against the moldings that the OP was talking about, right? If not, please correct me. :)

If the flooring manufacturer's instructions call for expansion gaps then it would NOT be ok to butt the flooring tight up against the moldings. This would essentially have the flooring trapped between the moldings and if the flooring were to expand the boards would get wider and push against the moldings.

I understand that. I guess the thing that I get confused about is the fact that on a nailed down floor each individual board is fastened to the subfloor so that it cannot move. So if each board expands, wouldn't it essentially be trapped between the adjoining boards, which are also expanding? You mentioned in an earlier post that the stair nose molding could be acting like just another piece of flooring when it is at the top of the stairs. I guess I just don't understand why the moldings on each side of the OP's catwalk are any different. Is it the way that they are fastened to the subfloor?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:47 am 
Valued Contributor

I understand that. I guess the thing that I get confused about is the fact that on a nailed down floor each individual board is fastened to the subfloor so that it cannot move. So if each board expands, wouldn't it essentially be trapped between the adjoining boards, which are also expanding? You mentioned in an earlier post that the stair nose molding could be acting like just another piece of flooring when it is at the top of the stairs. I guess I just don't understand why the moldings on each side of the OP's catwalk are any different. Is it the way that they are fastened to the subfloor?

Ideally flooring should be acclimated to the midrange of the annual average moisture content for the installation location. After that the relative humidity should be kept within a defined range to prevent the floor boards from swelling or shrinking enough to cause a problem. If there is excessive swelling due to a flood or excessive humidity (seacoast type environment) the outer rows would expand into the expansion gap and boards at the center of the floor would push against each other and buckle upwards. If there were no expansion gap the flooring would push against whatever it was butted to and possibly damage it. It could potentially push walls or pipes. In this case it could crush or loosen the moldings that the railings are attached to.....this is abnormal (excessive) vs normal (minimal) expansion.

Look at it this way....the stair nosing scenario affects just the floor.....the moldings scenario affects structural components.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:04 pm 
New User

Any update on how this turned out?

I had a similar issue before - 3/4inch sill plate, 3/8 inch flooring.
I undercut and slid the flooring underneath. It was a 4foot long section so doable.

If I had 3/4inch sill plate and 1/2 inch flooring, I really have a hard time thinking that
the lip remaining after the undercut wouldn't eventually crack and break off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:44 am 
Valued Contributor

mostrows wrote:

I undercut and slid the flooring underneath. It was a 4foot long section so doable.

If I had 3/4inch sill plate and 1/2 inch flooring, I really have a hard time thinking that

A 1/4" lip would be fine if it were supported by the flooring underneath it. 1/4" is the typical edge thickness for T moldings and reducers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:01 pm 
New User

JIMMIEM wrote:
mostrows wrote:

A 1/4" lip would be fine if it were supported by the flooring underneath it. 1/4" is the typical edge thickness for T moldings and reducers.

Ok.... undercutting with a jamb saw it is.

I did that to establish the top of the cut, but the found it to be a real pain to clear out
the material below it to actually make space to slide the floor in. (The saw after all is not 1/2inch thick.)

Suggestions as to how best to do that?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:38 pm 
Valued Contributor

mostrows wrote:
JIMMIEM wrote:
mostrows wrote:

Ok.... undercutting with a jamb saw it is.

I did that to establish the top of the cut, but the found it to be a real pain to clear out
the material below it to actually make space to slide the floor in. (The saw after all is not 1/2inch thick.)

Can the blade be lowered to do some of the clear out? If not, you could use an oscillating multi tool or a wood chisel. Also, you could use an angle grinder but you would literally be cutting on an angle and wouldn't be able to cut too deep.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:06 pm 
New User

JIMMIEM wrote:
mostrows wrote:

Can the blade be lowered to do some of the clear out? If not, you could use an oscillating multi tool or a wood chisel. Also, you could use an angle grinder but you would literally be cutting on an angle and wouldn't be able to cut too deep.

The jamb saws I've seen/used do allow for the blade to be adjusted, but when I did
do that I found it fairly awkward and inefficient to be doing that. Was just wondering if anyone knew any cute trick for it.

Profile E-mail