Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Installing oak 3/4" hard wood questions
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:30 am 
New User

I am installing 3/4" oak hardwood floor about 200 square feet. It is above grade on a 3/4" OSB subfloor. The wood is acclimitizing (for 2 weeks) and I have Roberts SVS silicone vapor shield for the underlament.

I began the moisture and noticed certain areas were shooting up to 20% mc and 3 " away they would read 8%. Most of the floor is reading 7% some areas lower at 5.7% and other areas 11% with the 2 areas I mentioned at 20% (the 20% areas are about a 2'x 2' area, the bottom subfloor of this area is reading 7%). I have general company with pins moisture meter, I checked my hardwood and it is all reading between 5.2% and 6.7%. I checked underneath the subfloor in the crawl space and it all looked brand new and read an average of 7% even in the areas that read high topside. Should I try a pinless moisture meter to verify my high MC locations?

Anyway I am planning out how to do this and I decided on starting from the middle of the room by installing a backer board for support to start it off then removing the backer board and installing a spline to start the floor toward the other wall.

I checked the directions from the company natural choice Cronin company saddle oak 3/4" x 5" x RL. And it doesn't tell me what gage brad/finishing nails and gage of staples to use for installation. I am going to rent the pneumatic stapler from Home Depot, and they have 2 types both dewalt 15.5 gauge and 16 gauge. Which should I use for the oak hardwood floors? From the directions I will go with 2" staples.

The area I live in is anchorage Alaska, it has been a rainy summer so far, a little more moisture during this time of year. My humity in the house is at 40-45%.

Thanks,
I appreciate any ideas or suggestions,

THGraham

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Installing oak 3/4" hard wood questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:34 am 
Prized Contributor

It seems that you have an isolated moisture problem. 20% is higher than what the wood should be when it comes from the store, and will acclimate to much less with your conditions. It would be great to compare moisture readings from 2 meters.
There would be nothing wrong with either gauge staple, but I recommend 15.5 gauge.
Once you install the spline, staple this side of the flooring just like you stapled the side with the factory tongue.

Profile E-mail