Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Installing 6/7/8" wide Brazilian Cherry Hardwood Floor
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:13 am 
New User

I've done a few hardwood floors, and am now installing a Brazilian Cherry Floor. The lumber is in 6", 7", and 8" widths and 1' to 7' random lengths. The install pattern is a row of 8", row of 7", and row of 6". With random joints. My problem is none of the milling is consistent. The widths vary from even to 1/32 wider to 1/8 wider. :cry: It is also bowed lengthways. Is there anyway to install this with out it looking horrible? I was told these widths are only available in 2nd or worse quality. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:11 am 
Prized Contributor

How long has the floor been allowed to acclimate to reach moisture content equillibrium?

Sounds like some boards are wetter then others, or the boards were milled at very different levels of moisture content. You need a pin type moisture meter to varify, moisture content.

Sounds like a claim needs to filed with the manufacturer!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:37 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

I have installed lots of wide, solid plank and can tell you it is common to find the widths being off. If this is UNFINISHED, then you will need to fill the cracks with the appropriate colored filler. Bowed boards can be put aside or be cut in half for starts and ends. Most B. Cherry is milled in Brazil and although the quality has improved over the years, it still is not up to the best N. America has to offer.