Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Intercoat Abrasion Question
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:16 am 
New User

Hi,

Several months back I installed some reclaimed hardwood flooring in my house. I put a coat of Bona sealer on the floor, and was able to get 2 coats of Bona Mega finish in one room, and only 1 coat of finish in another room. These are heavy traffic rooms, so I plan to have 3 coats of finish on each.

My understanding is you don't have to do an intercoat abrasion for the finish if you recoat within 48 hours, but you should if it's after that.

I contacted Bona, and they recommend "a 320 grit maroon pad (aka conditioning pad)." When I looked at the Bona Mega instructions, it recommends "using a multidisc and Bona Diamond 180 to 240 grit abrasives with Bona Intermediate Pads."

Aside from their conflicting info, I don't have access to Bona-specific tools or pads, and am trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have access to a buffer or orbital floor sander at the local hardware store.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Terry

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Intercoat Abrasion Question
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:46 pm 
New User

I went to the hardware store, and they recommended against using a buffer (said it would leave swirls). They suggested a pole sander w/220 grit. Will that do the job? It's about 340 sq ft, so not the end of the world to do, I just want to make sure it will work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:46 am 
Prized Contributor

The buffer is used by floor professionals. You can use the 220 grit paper on a pole sander for between coats to scuff the surface.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:17 pm 
New User

Got it sanded w/the pole sander w/220 grit and put the coat of finish on. Looks good. Thanks for the advice!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:41 pm 
New User

We use a dust control buffer to abraid -etch between coats. Maroon pad w/ 220 grit for water base. 150 grit for oil ( we only use poloplaz primero . We have been working 50 weeks a year for 8 yrs (until now due to pandemic). I’m not a fan of the ufo or orther machines like it. Now we only restore existing wood floors and do not install. I would buy a Hummel trio if we installed. 90% of the floors in the greater buffalo area are r. Oak 3/8 or
5-16 plank. So many are ground down soooo thin. We have found a Hummel to be just aggressive enough for refinishing 3/8 t@g. Other machines are more aggressive. If your experiencing swirls , ( we have before) try a thicker white 3m buffer pad as a drive pad. Not the thin pads used for driving screens or applying stain w/ buffer

Profile E-mail