Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Issues on newly refinished hardwood floor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:48 pm 
New User

Hello,

Recently we have our red oak hardwood floor refinished by a hardwood refinishing firm. They sanded it, stained it once, and then applied two layers of poly coating. When it's all done, the results weren't as good as expected. From 5' above, we can see uneven paints and sanding marks in many places. I saw on the site that others experienced similar issues after hardwood floor refinishing. I appreciate your advice on what I can do next or whether I have a case to have the contractor back to fix the issues.

Some of pictures can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128343487@N07/

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Issues on newly refinished hardwood floor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:21 pm 
Worthy Contributor

From the pictures, it doesn't look like the floors were sanded fine enough and therefore stain did not absorb properly. Unfortunately, the way to correct it is to resand & start all over again.

Debbie Gartner aka The Flooring Girl
Owner of Floor Coverings International - Westchester
Elmsford, NY
http://TheFlooringGirl.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:17 am 
New User

Debbie,

Thanks for the reply!

I'll contact the contractor. Just in case if they don't cooperate, what'll be my options? Should i get a local floor inspector and/or attorney?

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:27 pm 
New User

md_home wrote:
Debbie,

Thanks for the reply!

I'll contact the contractor. Just in case if they don't cooperate, what'll be my options? Should i get a local floor inspector and/or attorney?

Thanks

< $10k you can consult w/ an attorney but otherwise bring this to small claims

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:50 am 
Worthy Contributor

It also doesn't look like the coats are up to par. Your pictures should show a lot more sheen and build for two coats of polyurethane. One problem with court is that it's going to take a while to go that route. One of the cities in my area used to have local arbitration, for cases like this:

From Wikipedia, "Consumer arbitration"
Quote:
Disputes between consumers and businesses that are arbitrated are resolved by an independent neutral arbitrator rather than in court. Although parties can agree to arbitrate a particular dispute after it arises or may agree that the award is non-binding, arbitrations that occur pursuant to a pre-dispute arbitration clause and result in a binding award comprise most of the consumer arbitrations that occur.[1]:280

It may help to get a local flooring company to come out and give you a second opinion on it. It'll give you more leverage in dealing with the first company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:43 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I just now noticed that this post is over a year old--so these replies may be useful in general, but not much help to the original poster. They posted this, came back once more the next day, and have never visited the site again.

I've seen that pattern with at least four posts that I followed: poster has a problem, goes to a lot of trouble to post pictures and describe the problem in great detail. They ask for feedback, and then come back only once, a day or two later. There may be many replies in the week or two after that, and they never see them.

Now, I don't have a lot of investment in whether someone on here takes my advice or not, but when there's no response at all, I usually check to see if they ever bothered to read any of it. It's easy enough to click on their profile and see their last visit.

Every message board that I'm part of has people who post and then disappear. The other boards are general interest topics. It's more curious when it happens on a technical site where people have a problem they want to solve.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:24 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Correction: not a year old! Yeah, 'last year,' but they may still be around. Don't know why I was thinking November 2013 in my head.

Profile E-mail