Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jatoba wood impossible to finish
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:04 pm 
New User

Hello, I have a big problem with jatoba wood, last year our carpenter made us a captain bed with this wood, ever since it has been a nightmare, its impossible to finish, it creates this white film and spots everywere and after we sand it down and refinish , it comes back in the same area and also in other areas, its very weird, as if it was possesed!!!
hahaha , I have to laught to keep my cool, anyhow we have tried water bond, marine varnish polyhutherane for finishes, rubbing alcohol , turpentne and sanding to get rid of the white spots and always come back does anyone have had this sort of problem? My gut feeling is that this wood was not cured (dried) we live in alaska and i think when it was shipped green the temperature changes locked the sap in the wood and now its coming out no matter what, I dunno if I am right, what do you experts think? I would appreciate any comments . thank you.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:40 pm 
Prized Contributor

your are pretty close, jatoba in certain instances will have a high level of silica locked into the wood. Not apparent till the floor is sanded and the finish goes on then you get what looks like little spots of skim milk showing up. In flooring it usually is only present in a limited number of boards and replacement of said boards is the cure. I not aware of any finish that will inhibit this, possible some universal sealer by parks would be worth a shot. also put the seal coat on immeaditly after sanding this will should help seal the wood before it has time for the silicates to wick up out of the wood. I would call the folks who supplied the material and ask for a replacement if that is an option.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail