Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:14 am 
Worthy Contributor

This BC was shipped without the plastic wrap, and was loosely stacked, still in the box. I would be lying, if I told you I could look at any board, and tell you for sure , what way it was cut off the log, but my guess would be plain saw, judging my the appearence of most of the boards. I was thinking more along the lines, that since the weight( density?) varied, the boards that were resisting cupping were the heaviest ones. Pretty weak, huh?
Also, it was mentioned that 2% was the correct spec for plank. Could someone link me to the site, please? I believe you, I just want to see it in print , and read through the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:34 pm 
Valued Contributor

It is in the nwfa books you say you have. Without reading it; I thought is was 4%... BUT, you said you put felt down?
This is also a year later... If was a subfloor moisture problem, cupping is seen within the first month..
Now I'll have to look it up too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:13 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Just to be sure, I never said I had the nwfa book. I did mention checking the nofma site, ( I know, its not oak). I don't think you can access nwfa wihtout membership, and I don't belong.
Yes, I used 15 lb felt. I didn't notice the cupping in December, and may not have noticed it if not for the morning light through the windows. Thanks for the help guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:35 pm 
Prized Contributor

4% is the rule for Oak.

Maple, since it is very unstable, 2% is recommended, as with any known unstable species.

Since plank is unstable compared to it's strip counterpart, the 2% unstable recommendation is best to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:17 am 
Worthy Contributor

Thanks Perry. Since what I read, stated tha Jatoba was stable, I would have never applied the rule for maple, as I have never installed it. Now I will. And as I stated earlier, I had never heard of the 2% thing. I have spent some time going though a lot posts here, and on another site, and idn't find a reference to this 2%. Do you remember ever seeing it stated? If so, I flat missed it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Steve:

Found it on one website. I guess it's not a widely known fact--I never heard it before either. Check the link and scroll about 1/2 way down the page. I suppose I've been doing it wrong for years too :oops:

They claim any plank should be within 2%. Wood floorsonline copies most of their stuff from NOFMA so I'm assuming the info came from them.

http://www.woodfloorsonline.com/techtal ... ater2.html

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:48 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Thanks Ken. I like to print this stuff out, and hand it out as needed. funny, If I tell someone something, they may be skeptical, but if it's in print, then, well, it must be gospel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:14 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

I have found over the years that when I tell a client something like, " You'll need a plastic vapor barrier under your house.", that sometimes they'll think I'm trying to find more stuff to charge them for. Especially of general contractors, who like to say, " I've never heard of that before and I've been in this business for 30+ years." So being able to document your statements and claims with industry studies goes along way to building credability with your clients. I do so love to flood that stubborn general contractor's fax machine with technical documentation I downloaded from the web when they say "prove it!" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:28 am 
Worthy Contributor

That is the system that is in place, guess we need to learn to work within its constraints. But it makes sense, I guess, especially when you consider how easily some people take advice about thier flooring from someone other then a flooring installer. maybe its the unbaised opionion aspect of the advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:32 pm 

SK, What I'm refering to is when I'm asked to bid a floor and I notice things that need to be corrected, like subfloor uneven, loose, damp, yada, yada, yada; that's when I get grief from the GC who says, "Oh, it's not that bad. You can make it work. It shouldn't take that long!" Blah, blah, blah! So now I'm looking at a GC who's telling me (with over 25 yrs laying floors) how to do my job. Instead of getting into a who's right and who's wrong kinda thing, I just tell them I'll be faxing over the INDUSTRY STANDARDS. not mine or his standards. Then I'll ask the GC to sign the waiver. That shuts them up pretty fast, along with the documentation that what I said to begin with is the industry standard. At this time in my life, if I'm putting my name on that floor, it's gonna be done right. Or it's not gonna be done by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:21 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Gary I did a crummy job of conveying that I agree with you. I run into GC's with the same line, they always say,"We always do it this way, and never have a problem". Still doesn't make it right. I was doing installation for a pretty good size development near here, I contracted for ten units, and with two left on the contract, they went with somebody else. They said I could keep the account if I matched the price, but I refused. They have gotten a premium install for a fair price. No way anybody else will give them that kind of quality. I think they"ll be back. But the price will be different, (higher) because they now have seen the difference. Maybe I'll get it, maybe not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:35 am 

How could you have a contract for all ten units and then get bumped off the last two? There must have been some "exit" clause for them. I've seen that before. It's hard to compete in new developements because most of the labor is new, pretty green young guys who'll work for peanuts. Some of them try to do a good job but aren't given the time and haven't done it long enough to know how. That's why I don't do subdivisions. You always get hammered on price. The only ones making any money are the developers and the sales staff. Certainly not the guys swinging the hammers. I credit you for being able to do it though. You gotta be pretty fast if you want to make any money around here when working for delelopers. Myself, I just kinda humm along at my own pace. I get hired cause I have sterling references, price the work maybe a little higher than the norm but certainly not the highest and try to get along with everyone. About your builder; they'll be back IF the guys who do the work now butcher it. If they do an OK job, then price will dictate who lays that builder's floors. For me, high end custom remodels are the ticket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:23 am 
Worthy Contributor

I didn't get bumped off the last two , I had two left when they made the "deal" for the next group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:29 am 

Sorry, I thought you meant they bumped you. :oops: