Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jilin Choice? Soft finish? HELP!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:27 pm 
New User

Hi guys. I have a question. I installed 250 sg. of Jilin Choice's (Goodfellow) Golden Wheat oak 3/4" prefinished flooring about 9 months ago. It looked like an OK product, even though it was from china! Finish was hard, coated both sides, wood seemed milled good, etc. I had a few boxes left, so I went back last week to get some more and do another room. The salesman told me the supplier "retooled", and the tongues were now in a different location, to allow more wood for future refinishing if needed. I checked his sample, and it looked ok, although I did notice it wasn't finished on the back side. After I installed about half of the room, I noticed a lot of marks and scratches and dings, that were not there upon install. I checked the pieces going in, so these were new. I took a piece from the box, and ran my fingernail across the finish, and almost died. It scratched and gouged the finish something terrible! I did it on a few more pieces from different boxes, same thing! Then I grabbed an old piece and tried it, nothing doing. I could not scratch the old finish at all. My question is, what the heck do I do now? Is this due to poor finishing at the factory? I always check the boxes upon opening, for damage etc, but I've never seen this. Has anyone else? I have a call in to the dealer, but Im not sure they will be helpful. the warranty states "installation implies acceptance" "no warranty will be offered for appearance related claims once the products are installed" although, it does have a 15 year finish warranty, Im sure they will say this is damage. Any Ideas? I dont know which way to go with this. I stopped installing half way. Thanks for the help guys, I really need it!

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:53 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

All you can do is file a claim and be a "squeeky wheel." Just keep demanding a refund and return what you can. That's the problem with some imported flooring; lack of quality control. I'll bet the "manufacturer" doesn't even know what the finish is or where or when it was applied. Probably subbed out to the lowest bidder in China. :? :roll: