Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Joist direction problems w/ two adjoining room
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:28 pm 
New User

First, let me thank you for such a great site. I built a 15x15ft,all-season room directly off my dining rm. The new room has 3/4in t&g ply subfloor, with the 16" oc joists running north/south. Under the subfloor is insulation held in place with plywood. (I cannot add blocking). The dining room already has a 3/4" oak hardwood floor over a 5/8" ply subfloor, w/ joists running east/west. The present level of both floors match where the hardwood and the new subfloor meet. I want to install 3/4" x 3-1/4" hardwood over both of these surfaces and make it look like one big room. (dining rm wall was knocked out.) My questions are: A) Can I run the new floor parallel to the joists in the new room with only a 3/4" sub and of course continue the install over the present hardwood floor. B) I have a low area on the present hardwood floor (house settling) . What leveling agent would be the best to use and if used what could be the consequences? PS. I'll be doing the install

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:13 am 
Prized Contributor

Only install over existing hardwood, in the opposite direction, or on a 45ยบ.

The other choice is to install plywood over everything, plywood and existing hardwood, to bring it all up to the same level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:00 am 
New User

Thks Perry, Running the boards in the opposite direction over the present hardwood, will solve the joist directional problem. Since I don't want to raise the floor level any further, is there a method to leveling the low area I have in the existing hardwood floor. (a leveling compound or such) . Harry B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:22 am 
Valued Contributor

30 lb felt stacks up pretty fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:30 am 
New User

The felt paper sounds great. I was afraid I would have to use a liquid leveling compound , and I would have trouble nailing into it. Thanks, Harry