Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I just want to run my plan by the experts
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:40 am 
New User

I just closed on a house (first home). I want to put hardwood flooring in most of the house. My family owns a lot of rental properties, and I have done a little of everything in my life. I refinished the floor of the 50s house I'm living in now. As a result the DIY aspect of the install should not a big problem.

The new house has a slab concert floor. Moisture should not be a problem (very dry here), but I will run tests just to make sure. I do not want the hollow pergo feel, so I would really like to glue the floor down, and something i could refinish if needed. Due to doors, I would also like to stay as thin as possible.

Can I glue a 3/8 solid floor down if I do not have a moisture problem? I will flatten the heck out of the floor. :twisted:

however, maybe there is something I have not thought of. Your imput whould be great. :D

thank you,
mark AKA arslin

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: I just want to run my plan by the experts
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:26 am 
Prized Contributor

arslin wrote:

Can I glue a 3/8 solid floor down if I do not have a moisture problem? :twisted:

Yes, if you don't have a moisture problem.

But what your not understanding, is concrete can act like a sponge, if you have heavy seasonal rains.

So it test dry today, but it may not test dry later, after the floor is cupped and buckled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:47 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

If you choose to glue a solid down, be warned, this is one of the most common failures seen. Just ask Perry or Ray. If you choose to glue a solid down, consider gluing a CHEAP vinyl floor down first as a vapor barrier. This is an old tried and true system and easier than using 15 lb. felt and asphalt adhesive. THe best glue to use when gluing wood flooring to vinyl is Franklin Advantage, used to be 811. It is a mc urethane. For a GREAT engineered sand n place floor, consider Owen's PLANK FLOOR. Ken sells it here but it takes time to get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:26 am 
New User

I was looking to do the LL thing, but have read reviews (from more than just here) that they have gone down hill last few years. Any brands that I might have access to that are good for the price. Mind you I’m hoping to get a 1500sf job done for as few green-backs as possible.

I live in the Southern Central Valley of California. We are in a rain shadow and get very little rain. Yes, even with all the rain this year. We only get a few inches a year here. If we are not having a moisture problem now, with all the rain southern California has gotten, I'm in like flin.

I am not entirely against the floating floor, if I can be fairly sure that it does not sound like a floating floor. Know what I mean? . I have been on some floors that were floated that worked for me. I would be more willing to float the floor than go with engineered floor. Call me old fashion, but I like solid wood floors.

great site! great help!

mark