Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kahrs install - moving along now
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:15 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

After a decent start, then a difficult doorjamb issue (see my other post), my install seems to be progressing a little better. I added new pics on my website, as well as below.

https://home.comcast.net/~rtbrick/flooring_issues.htm

My next hurdle is when I come through both doorways (large openings really) into a long hallway from the adjoining DR and LR. I hope everything mates up correctly.

Thanks for all the advice thus far.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:51 pm 
Worthy Contributor

You have to trim the locking joint on the Kahrs to get pieces that slide under something to fit together. I think your short test piece fit because you didn't have the end joint to deal with. Cut a strip of paper the same width as the boards, and use it to make your template. Cost less then miscutting boards. Also, if you can look a row or two ahead, set it up so you can split a door case like that, with 2 boards. This rotatating lock stuff has made some stuff easier, but some things a real pain in the arse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:46 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Award floaters have a similar rotating locking mechanism but when one comes to a difficult area (fitting under casings), Award says one can simply tap the flooring together and not have to rotate. Not the sides so much but the end butts. This is extremely helpful as you cannot rotate and fit under casings and jambs as well. I do as SK and try to plan my layouts to allow me to split openings and the like. It does make it easier.