Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kahrs - matching up glued piece around a doorjamb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:10 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Trying to install Woodloc flooring by using the glue method in order to negotiate around a doorjamb. Really frustrated. Help. Check my website for the pictures.

https://home.comcast.net/~rtbrick/flooring_issues.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

Cut the lip off the bottom lock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:29 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Floorguy,

I did that. I cited a few more details on my webpage. I wrote it first and figured everyone would click my link to see the pics anyways. Laziness (tiredness, actually). Please take a look if you have a minute.

I used a little short scrap piece (30" inches or so) to check my measuring for the jamb cut and I just got it to fit both sides of the jamb. BUT (there always a but), on the dining room side of the floor (the red in the pictures) there is a little less than 1/4" difference in the wood spacing along the back wall. The side of the starter row closest to the jamb has more spacing than the far end of the starter row. The floor in the other room seems to have about even spacing along the length of the starter row as measured from the baseboard (it does appear that the base board wobbles in and out a tad bit. Is that normal?).

Will that difference in spacing get more exaggerated as I continue across the 16 or so feet of width? Is it acceptable? How perceptable will it be? Will the floor look slightly crooked?

I re-read your post. I actually chiseled the locking tabs off per the directions. Did you really mean cut? Like, take the circ saw and trim the edge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:41 pm 
Prized Contributor

I use a razor knife and shave and wittle them. If you can't get that together, you need to cut more out of the plank or find where you missed the jamb or baseboard. It's hitting something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:50 am 
Prized Contributor

I don't think you have enough meat cut out yet. While the board is laying there take a pencil and lightly outline the casing and jamb. Remove the board and cut out some more meat. A sharp thin chisel works well to shave off the locking tab.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:01 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I thought the same. The small scrap piece was my original "test" cut and it now fits just fine. I guess my cut is ok, I even cut a little more out of the actual board that I will put in. I believe the floors were not line up even on either side of the jamb. I'll try again today to get that piece in. When scooting the test piece in, I have my wife and son stand on the floor on either side so it would not move. Good idea?

What I am worried about now is the ~1/4" or 3/16" difference in the floor spacing against the baseboards on the one side now that the test boards fits both sides. It does not appear that I have much wiggle room on the other side to get them about the same. I snapped chalk lines to see if these outside walls were square and the seemed to be.

here is a pic of the jamb area
Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:22 am 
Prized Contributor

I flare my opening cuts a little more because of the drywall, remember that test board has to slide to the left, will it?

Profile E-mail