Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kahrs tavern grade?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:07 am 
New User

An internet vendor is selling Kahrs builder collection tavern grade white oak flooring for $2.73/sf with no warranties. Anybody has any experience with tavern grade material from Kahrs? Is this a reasonable price to pay? For comparison, Kahrs 1st grade builder collection with 25 year warranty sells for $3.79/sf elsewhere.

Thanks for your help.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Kahrs cavern grade?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:20 am 
Valued Contributor

I don't see anything about cavern grade Kahrs on either their website or on my distributors. Paste a link to the site if you can. But for the dollar difference unless you are doing a huge area it is a no brainer for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kahrs cavern grade?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:32 am 
New User

Sorry about the confusion. I meant tavern grade material (misspelling corrected in my original post). Here is the link to the product:

http://www.fastfloors.com/catalog/produ ... tid=271999

Do you think that I should go with the tavern grade for the price difference? I need about 1000 sqft. Thanks.

jeff burstein wrote:
I don't see anything about cavern grade Kahrs on either their website or on my distributors. Paste a link to the site if you can. But for the dollar difference unless you are doing a huge area it is a no brainer for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kahrs tavern grade?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:56 pm 
Valued Contributor

I am sure it is fine being from kahrs, just more colorful being tavern grade. But being a closeout you won't be able to get anymore if you need it later on. So if you do go with it you might want to buy an extra box or 2.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kahrs tavern grade?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:13 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I wouldn't. Tavern grade isn't only going to have more drastic color variations. You can have minor milling deficiencies, open characteristics, etc, and you're definitely going to have to allow for more culling and waste. So, some of your savings are going to be eaten up with wasted material. IMHO, I would spend the extra buck and buy the first quality material. And buy it somewhere you can see it and put your hands on it first. Buying closeout, "as-is" material online is just asking for trouble. Again, my humble opinion. :wink: