Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: kitchen dining area Bonna traffic what is comparable in oil?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:37 am 
New User

I am installing a new floor in tiger wood. This is for a kitchen dining area. This will be a very high traffic area. From what I have read Bonna Traffic is my best choice in wate base. What would be comparable in oil base? Should I consider another finish that is easier to touch up if there is scratches or damage?

I do not like the high sheen of high gloss. Am I better off abrading the sheen down versus using a satin which is not as durable? This is not a large area only about 350 sq ft.

How difficult is the bonna Traffic to apply? I have never used a poly with a hardner. How long do you have once it is mixed? I am not new to applying finsihes but have no experience doing hardwood flooring. Is Bonna Traffic a product for an experienced DIY.

Thanks in advance for your help
George K

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:11 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Traffic is for professional use only, but some distributors will sell to anyone. IMO, Traffic is not difficult to apply, nor is it easy. As with ALL waterbased coatings, whether it's paint or poly, apply it and leave it alone. Many DIYers are tempted to keep fussing with a finish and over brush. With oils, you can do that. Not with waterbased. And BTW, there are NO comparable OIL-BASED polys to Traffic. There are moisture cured urethanes and acid curing urethanes but both are way more toxic, dangerous, flammable and difficult to use. Plus they cost nearly the same as Traffic. In my book, they have no advantage over Traffic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:07 pm 
New User

Gary thanks !

I have used water base poly on trim and do understand about over brushing the fininsh. What do you recommend for a sealer, and do I need to use one? What is the best type of applicator? Can you recommend a web site where I can buy Bonna products? I have found one but I don't know if it is proper to discuss this on the forum. Can you PM me with information. My email is gsmventures@comcast.net I am also looking for a used Bostitch M111-Fs nailer, do you know wehere I can find one?

regards
George

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:27 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

George, I cannot recommend a web address for purchasing Bona products. The few I am aware of will not sell the two component finishes to non professionals. I purchase through a local distributor, not online. Traffic needs a sealer IF you are planning to go "natural." Use Bona Seal OR for a more golden appearence, Bona DriFast sealer. No "sealer" is required if you are going over a stain, per Bona's instructions. I recommend (3) moderate coats as opposed to (2) heavy coats. For a smaller area, I usually use a 10" Padco painting pad screwed onto a pole. You can cut in and apply the field with the same tool. I typically only buy new tools. I've heard some buy used stuff from Ebay and the Harbor Freight floor nailer has gotten some decent reviews here.