Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lacing Estimates
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:44 pm 
Prized Contributor

I'm running into people picking up forclosures and wanting to save damaged wood floors. I have one to figure next week that's 5/16" x 2 1/4" pre-fin. glue down , I think in Best, with a ton of lacing, to save this floor.
I never know what to charge for a job that's just lacing. I'd probably pass on that stuff if times were different, (although this is a developer I want to get in with). I know if varies from gluedown to naildown, and amount. But is there any "rule of thumb " you guys are going by?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Lacing Estimates
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:16 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

You already know it will be much more difficult being that it is a glued down floor. Odds are you will need to do lots of chiseling and cleaning of tongues and grooves. IMO, there is no set amount, stock way to estimate. If it were me, I would attempt to keep the lacing in to a minimum and even consider having the floor refinished after being patched, depending on it's current condition. I recall years ago adding on to an existing 3/8" x 3" engineered floor that required me to lace in to the existing. It easily took me all of one day to perform the cut out of the existing and clean up the substrate to allow me to lace in. It was across a 10' section. Then sliding in the new boards was no picnic either with the glue getting all over the place. I would easily charge double what you might normally charge for a nailed down floor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:49 pm 
Prized Contributor

That's where my dilemna is , with gluedown. Especially with a 5/16 product, cleaning out under the tongues glue & wood, cleaning out the grooves. You know the darn stuff is so thin, ( t & g is right in the glue ). You always have a darn sliver to dig out under the tongue :roll:.
Just dont want to blow people away , yet I need to cover myself, and at this stage of the game Im not gonna work by the hour.
I guess I really should try to educate people on how much work it takes, without sounding like I'm bitchin about it. Throw them a total price & let the chips fall.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:15 am 
Prized Contributor

I wouldn't start with an explanation of how hard its gonna be. First give them the price, then if they ask "why so much" thats the time for explanations. It wont seem like you are building them up for something that way.
But man, you are gonna have headaches toothing in that 5/16th inch glue down. Honestly, if it is a significant proportion of the total amount of floor, I would be inclined to insist on full replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:56 am 
Prized Contributor

dennis wrote:
I wouldn't start with an explanation of how hard its gonna be. First give them the price, then if they ask "why so much" thats the time for explanations. It wont seem like you are building them up for something that way.
But man, you are gonna have headaches toothing in that 5/16th inch glue down. Honestly, if it is a significant proportion of the total amount of floor, I would be inclined to insist on full replacement.

I went on the estimate late yesterday. I'ts 24' of lacing to save a 1700' job :roll: . I was thinking , on my way over there, to figure a way to maybe break the floor off at a certain point, and remove it all up to that point . Maybe do some bordering, something creative. But no good. They had a flood up against the back of the home, water got through the foundation. The problem has been repaired, but I cant figure a way to be creative with the floor.
Good point on the explanation. Not good to sound negative. They were very interested in the process, which worked out great. They wanted to be educated. So I did, in a positive manner. But man, sure didnt sleep last night ! What a nightmare repair. I have to put figures together today, and still thinking of a better option.
Lot's of guys have looked at this thing, and have passed. I came highly recommended. I guess it's good for my ego ? :roll:

Profile E-mail