Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Landing with two noses
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:18 am 
New User

Hi all. I’m replacing carpet with hardwood on stairs with a landing and could use some advise. I don’t know what you call this style but the landing has two staircases coming up on opposite sides and one staircase going up to the second floor. Let’s say from the landing one set is north, one set is south and the set from landing to the second floor is also south. I cut and stained the north set and the set going to the second floor but have not installed them yet. I’m using Stairtek Retreads that have that molding which covers the top of the risers. I WAS planning to install the north set then do the landing without installing the nose for the south set, then the stairs to the second floor, then later do the south set. I hope that is clear to read.

I have a bunch of questions I hope someone can help with.
1. How do I install the two noses on opposite sides of the landing? The landing will be T&G hardwood and the noses have groove backs. If I toe nail the tongues I think I’d have to start at the riser to the second floor stairs.
2. Should I glue or nail the landing? I thought nail but I’m seeing only videos with glue. I’m also assuming an underpayment if I nail?
3. I only have a 16ga finishing nailer. I once rented one from HD that you needed to hammer. Is that gun necessary or can I just use the 16ga.
4. With the risers I decided to use two back to back which allowed me to avoid cutting the treads. Again I only have the 16ga. Is this fine? Do I bother with glue? Probably wasn’t a good choice buts it’s what I did.
5. Can I nail the molding on the treads to avoid having a nail on the top of the treads? I’m assuming it may crack but it’s worth asking. I will be gluing with PL.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Landing with two noses
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:42 am 
New User

Also has anyone tried trim screws to blind screw T&G planks? If so you predrill them?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:31 am 
Valued Contributor

Can you post a picture?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:16 pm 
Prized Contributor

Trim screws will need to be pre-drilled so the head does not interfere with the groove of the next plank sliding into place. You can use 16 ga. finish nails to hold the flooring down if you are careful. I would use nails every 8 inches and within 2 inches of the ends of boards. Kraft paper will help the boards slide together and keep any dust from getting put into the air from the nailer that doesn't get swept up before laying the floor.
If you use Kraft paper you will not be able to glue assist the floor fastening.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:24 am 
Worthy Contributor

It sounds like this landing is complicated and my rule of thumb when things get complicated is to play is safe and glue everything. Especially on this landing which sounds like a very high traffic point, you'll want to reduce the potential for any squeaking, popping sounds and that's easier to do with a full spread glue down application (In my experience anyway). That's not to say you couldn't use screws or nails, but that introduces a fastener that may not hold or might start rubbing and making noise if there's a change in humidity and the landing expands or contracts. A small pail of polyurethane flooring glue (I use Mapei or Bona) and the recommended trowel would be more than enough - don't use PL as doesn't have enough play for expansion/contraction. Depending on material thickness at the nosings, you may even have enough room to add a thin layer of cork as an underlayment.

Profile E-mail