Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Large pieces of debris in Swedish finished maple floors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:19 pm 
New User

We recently installed 1000 sq ft of Maple flooring and had 2 professional finishers finish the floors. The first finisher left debri and overlap marks in the finish. So we hired another finisher to re-do and then finish the rest of the flooring we installed a few months later.
The new finisher used a Swedish finish and it looks really good, except that he left debris also in the finish, that we are told will walk out as we use the floors. I was told by the finisher to pick out the large pieces and the finish should just blend together. It was 2 days before I was able to do that. Some of the debris was bristles from a broom or applicator and were 3" inches long.
My question is. Is it standard operating procedure to not vacuum up sanding debris on flat surfaces other than the floor. like windowsills and ledges??
It would seem to me that since we were told before they came to finish the floor that we should make sure all dust and debris is vacuumed up, that they would do the same. I spent 2 days vacuuming my walls and beams to make sure nothing would fall into the finish.
Sorry this is so long, but I'm frustrated with both of the finishers.
The company stands by their work and told us to let them know if we are still concerned and that they stand by their installation.

They give a 6 month guarantee, but what good does that do if in 6 months we have to go thru the whole thing again.??

Just wondering if anyone had some insite for me.
Thanks
Kathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:35 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

You are discussing a "quality" issue. Both NOFMA and the NWFA say that customers should not expect a flawless finish, and that the floor should be examined from a standing position in regular lighting. On a large job/floor, it is normal to have some minor finishing flaws and a small amount of debris in the finish. Good finishers make every effort to keep it to a minimum, including vacuuming and tacking prior to finishing. Very small dust particles and debris will walk off over time. Without seeing the floor, it's impossible to tell if they did a good or even acceptable floor. Many times, minor finish repairs can be made if the finisher is top notch. Ask the owner of the business to come have a look and give his opinion. Ask if the finishing job can be made better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:21 am 
New User

Thanks for the info. I will wait the allocated time they suggest and see if they will come and look at it. There is a logistics problem with them. We live on an island and they are over a 100 miles away and charged a trip fee for each trip to our house.

I can post some pictures of the large debris and see what you think.

They did vacuum the floors and tack clothed them before putting the finish down. My issue is the remaining areas where dust and grit built up on the windowsills and other flat surfaces. It makes sense that this will be stirred up during application of finish.

I can live with the small pieces. Gotta leave for work. Will post pictures this PM
THanks again.
Kathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:48 pm 
Valued Contributor

It's new. Give it a couple months and you will no longer see them. Move the furniture, live on the floor and relax.
Soon, it will not be an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:29 pm 
New User

That's what eveyone says, but these are large pieces of debri and bristles.
I just found another area by the door that looks like something was spilled on the finish before it dried and then smeared in. I'll wait the time suggested, but I can't see these things going away. The finish has set up pretty hard now and the marks are still there from where I removed the bristles.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Kathy[[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:07 am 
Valued Contributor

Kathy,

Sounds like a "screen and re-coat" may be needed. Since we cannot see the problems from here and we cannot determine if these problems are visible from a standing position in normal lighting, we are not able to determine if your problems are Installation Related or within Industry Acceptance.