Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Layout Between Parallel Railings
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:14 pm 
New User

Hi, I am new to this forum and I am starting my first solid wood floor project. I'm very handy and have done a lot of major projects, but this is my first solid wood flooring.

Here's my question:
I am replacing a carpeted upstairs landing area with wood, and there are parallel railings running along the sides of the landing. The railings both have solid (oak) base plates attached to the floor (see photo below, also in photo gallery). The total run between base plates is about 16 feet, and the distance between base plates is 52". I am installing 3/4" x 2 1/4" unfinished red oak strip flooring. Do I need to install the flooring crosswise to allow for expansion?

I have seen homes in my area with similar landings, and wood strip flooring installed lengthwise as well as crosswise, so I'm not sure. I think lengthwise looks a bit nicer, but I want to make sure it is done right to avoid problems.

Your advice is appreciated.
Mike

[fullalbumimg]45[/fullalbumimg]
edited by site admin to display image

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:31 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Since it is upstairs, you should get minimal to zero moisture vapor from below to cause excessive movement. That's good, also, slightly over 4' isn't a very wide install. I would be tempted to butt the flooring to the "plates" as you're calling them. If the wood is properly acclimated and you maintain normal temp and humidity levels, you should not have a problem. Any solid wood floor can develope slight gaps between the boards or even a slight cupped appearance if allowed to be exposed to periods of extreme temps and humidity levels. So avoid that. But I'd say in your case, I'd run the flooring parallel to the railing, lengthwise. I think you'd be fine. The other way, crossways, would look odd and be difficult to sand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:06 am 
Prized Contributor

I can't view the picture. I get a Not Authorised message.

Profile E-mail