Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lets talk about the lagler trio and edging for a minute.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:08 pm 
Newbie Contributor

So can the trio replace an edger or not? I want to know right from someone who has actually tried it.

Also, what is your edging technique? Any tips and tricks? I've read about someone using a mechanics seat, a computer desk chair. My boss laughs, but the day I start up my own business will be the day I try the chair trick. I've also heard the Clarke B2 is better than the Super 7R. Is it heavier, harder to handle?

My technique is as follows:

Always edge left to right. Go right when following grain direction, front and back when perpendicular. I always stand with back hunched over, knees slightly bent and legs spread past shoulder width.

I used to put all my weight on the edger (oh the pain!). I've discovered recently that you don't need to do this (would have been nice to have seen the instructions if we had them). Prefinished needs a bit more pressure but let the machine do the work!

My back and elbows are always in pain. Scraping is a terrible job and kills my elbows. I can sharpen a scraper but hit a nail and start over.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lets talk about the lagler trio and edging for a minute.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

Are you Big Al from floormasters.com?

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:53 pm 
Prized Contributor

I'm not a sand & finish guy, but this tool looks pretty cool. Maybe take some of the pain away from your scraping and sharpening.

http://olbastard.com/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:59 pm 
Prized Contributor

Have to say I've only used an edger once helping Al (the tucsonan) here doing a job. It is painful for us old guys and heck, I am not used to it at all but it was fun! Not much sand and finish out here but there should be lots a coming with all the prefinished being installed these days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:29 pm 
Prized Contributor

floormeintucson wrote:
Not much sand and finish out here but there should be lots a coming with all the prefinished being installed these days.

Same here. Years to come good sand & finish guys are going to bank out here. Right now there's like 4 places attempting it and 3 of them are a disaster, only 1 you could recommend.
Back in the day at pops store...He had big time s&f business, so I was brought up learning just enough to be dangerous, never hands on. I was always installing. IMO sand & finish can be a huge headache, even with experienced guys.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 am 
Newbie Contributor

I'm big al from Toronto :)

I thought there were a whole bunch of sand and finish guys on this forum. Isn't it the most lucrative way to make money with floors???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:08 am 
Worthy Contributor

We had a couple guys work for us who had used the Lagler Trio, both said it ended up in the corner of the shop. It took to long and was not profitable. Can't say for sure because we have never had one. As far as edgers go the Super seven is my favorite by far. I have never tried a chair or dolly for edging, just one more tool to haul around and store. Rest your elbows on your knees when edging and stretch out your back frequently.If you set the nails first you should have no problem with the scraper.
floormeintucson wrote:
Back in the day at pops store...He had big time s&f business, so I was brought up learning just enough to be dangerous, never hands on. I was always installing. IMO sand & finish can be a huge headache, even with experienced guys.
It can be a huge headache especially if you do not educate the customer and the guys working with you, they never seem to care quite as much as the owner. However it is very rewarding to turn an old beat up floor into a floor that looks brand new.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:54 pm 
Prized Contributor

Dont get me wrong...I do think the key is to have very good guys, and totally educate the homeowner.
Was talking to the folks at the NWFA booth, and they mentioned the guys that are keeping busiest right now,( or not struggling), are the sand & finish guys that do good work. IMHO a good s&f business is gonna reap big benefits as all this pre-finished needs to be refinished. Just gotta go about it the right way, to avoid the pitfalls. I should correct myself...Experienced guys are one of the keys. I hate to say but... Pops was too loose :roll: .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:16 pm 
Valued Contributor

Out here in the North East the ones that are surviving in S&F are the ones that will do it for the cheapest. We ave the dumbest consumers who still haven't learned you get what you pay for. I used to get $2.50/sf no down to $2.00/sf. I just saw 2 ads on Craigslist for .79/sf 700sf min. Even the guys that were in with the super high end builders are hurting as that market has dried up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:13 pm 
Prized Contributor

Floorologist wrote:
IMHO a good s&f business is gonna reap big benefits as all this pre-finished needs to be refinished.

Seriously thinking about buying into this system:

http://www.flooringinstaller.com/video/clarke-fa8

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:26 pm 
Prized Contributor

jeff burstein wrote:
Out here in the North East the ones that are surviving in S&F are the ones that will do it for the cheapest. We ave the dumbest consumers who still haven't learned you get what you pay for. I used to get $2.50/sf no down to $2.00/sf. I just saw 2 ads on Craigslist for .79/sf 700sf min. Even the guys that were in with the super high end builders are hurting as that market has dried up.

That makes me feel ill :( Experiencing similiar stuff going on around here.
On a good note with Craigs List out here....Any one day there would be 25-30 unlicensed buck a foot buddies. Right now it's down to 2-3 :D The Contractors Board has set up sting operations , posing as homeowners getting estimates,busting these guys. It's probably more to line their pockets with the fines. It takes these guys off Craigslist, and makes me feel better about advertising on there, but obviously isnt going to help the price issue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:37 pm 
Prized Contributor

floormeintucson wrote:
Floorologist wrote:
IMHO a good s&f business is gonna reap big benefits as all this pre-finished needs to be refinished.

Seriously thinking about buying into this system:

http://www.flooringinstaller.com/video/clarke-fa8

That's an awesome machine! I would definetely consider going into the recoating business. Besides the normal everyday, I would be contacting all my customerrs from previous years, for a recoat. I'm gonna Google that machine and see what comes up, ( feedback, price, etc.) What a perfect add on to an installation business, and get things rolling. I would be real interested to hear what experienced sand and finish guys think. Advantages to hitting with buffer & pad ? How do you do your edges?. Maybe someone has to invent a tool for edges :D Ya right, like a sanding block :lol: :mrgreen:

Stepen , you really could have something here to seperate ourselves from these buck a foot buddies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Looks like it would be great for recoating textured floors were you can't get a buffer to hit the low areas. May have to try one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:19 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Isn't this just a glorified buffer? Looks like something you find in the box store rental area. If you can do the edges by hand it means you might as well just use a buffer cause it doesn't miss much except for corners, which are then done by hand.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:19 pm 
Prized Contributor

big_al wrote:
Isn't this just a glorified buffer? Looks like something you find in the box store rental area. If you can do the edges by hand it means you might as well just use a buffer cause it doesn't miss much except for corners, which are then done by hand.

That's what I'm wondering. What makes it better than a buffer? I know you can get closer to the walls with a buffer. Buffers can be set up dustless, (pretty much). Do you guys hit it with like a maroon pad? Whatever pad...cant you build it up to rough up texture? Like 2 whites under a red or maroon? I haven't checked this out..but whats to stop someone from just buying that drum, if it's any better than a buffer?

Profile E-mail