Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Level of Refinish Needed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:38 pm 
New User

Hello All,

Here's my situation: I bought a 50 year old house about a year ago just after the previous owner refinishing the oak flooring in the living room with Dutch Oil. After living there for a year I have now decided to complete the job by sealing the floor with poly. The question I have is this. Will it work, do you think, to simply scrub the floors with steel wool and then reapply the Dutch oil and then apply the poly? Will this give good results? Also, any opinions on the super fast drying poly that Varathane has that doesn't require sanding between each application? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:12 pm 
I don't know what you mean by Dutch oil. If you mean Danish oil, that is a type of oil finish (mostly tung oil and probably some form of wax) that is designed to be burnished and used alone, not necessesarily top coated. If you wanted to try to topcoat with a floor finish, I wouldn't add any more oil. Do a test spot first in a corner or closet. If you are going to use a water based floor finish, DO NOT use steel wool to abrade the floors. Steel wool is ok for a oil based poly but difficult getting all those steel wool hairs cleaned up. Fine sandpaper is better. What you're proposing is risky at best but may work. Good luck!