Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: light to dark staining, need to moisturize??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:11 pm 
New User

Hello,

I have what I've been told to be a standard factory hardwood floor installed in a home I recently purchased. Aside form sun bleaching there isn't very much damage to the floor, but a few questions have been brought up.

In trying to do my due diligence and obtain several quotes, all three have turned up different comments and concerns that I'm hoping someone could shed some light on in order for me to choose the right person.

1) does the floor need to be moisturized? I was told by two of the 4 companies that because I am going from a "honey" colour to a darker colour the floor needs to be moisturized to allow for proper stain absorption. The other two said this is not necessary.

2) the "v" gap - one contractor made a big deal about the "v" being very separated and wanted to extensively sand this down and use a filler to regain the even finish. He said the floor no matter what, wouldn't look right in a dark stain if this wasn't taken care of. Again, the first quote made no issue of this. Once the second contractor made this an issue I specifically questioned the the third contractor about this and once again, he said that there would be no issue regarding the "v" space between the boards. In fact, he said that he wouldn't want to oversand as the previous contractor would do.

Any information about these topics would be greatly appreciated.

Profile E-mail