Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Loba vs. Bona Traffic vs. Glitsa
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:09 pm 
New User

We have 60 year old white oak, and some red oak flooring. Two rooms have newly installed white oak flooring and the rest of the house has red oak. We have interviewed several refinishers and we have gotten very inconsistent advice on the refinishing product to use. Has anyone had experience with Loba? If so, what was the experience. One refinisher said that he would not use Bona Traffic because it streaks. Is that correct? What is your experience with Glitsa? We are trying to get accurate advice and it seems very difficult. That is why we are using this forum. Please know how much we appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Loba vs. Bona Traffic vs. Glitsa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:38 pm 
Valued Contributor

I'm not familiar with Loba but have used Bona Traffic for quite a few years. I haven't worked with Glitsa . Glitsa to my knowledge is a moisture curing urethane .

Some of the moisture curing urethanes are very hard and durable and have cosmetic qualities similar to oil based polyurethane. Benefits are extreme hardness and wear resistance.Downsides are very strong smell and low flash point. I consider it to be dangerous and never work with it.

Bona Traffic is a 2 part water based finish and is very durable.Nearly as durable as moisture curing urethanes.If used according to Bonakemi's directions, it's actually very easy to work with and has excellent leveling qualities.It shouldn't dry streaky at all.

Many contractors have trouble applying water based finishes . This is because they dry very quickly and need to be applied very precisely as there is not much working time and touch up can be a lot more difficult compared to oil based finishes.Oil based urethanes are a lot more forgiving but a good contractor should be able to use Bona Traffic and have no problems with it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:49 pm 
New User

Many thanks for this clarification. It was very useful

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:59 am 
Valued Contributor

They are all waterbase finishes and the contractors are recommending products that they work with, like to apply and
feel comfortable giving you what they feel is the best for quality, warranty and their own peace of mind..its preference..
there are a million products out there..

they are giving you opinion based on their own experience..

If you believe some anonymous poster on a forum over a man standing in front of you, then you need to
get another estimate..

this argument is like saying Chevy is better than ford.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:00 am 
Valued Contributor

BTW...they are all high quality products.

Bona just has the name..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:37 pm 
Valued Contributor

James, the original poster said that one of her possible contractors told her Bona Traffic dries streaky. I am positive that it does not unless something was done improperly. Are you saying that Bona Traffic does dry streaky ? I'm looking for a yes or no reply. Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

No ....i dont think so...unless extreme drying condition exists..to thin an app etc.

or maybe using lambswool.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 pm 
Valued Contributor

Paul,

My reply to the OP was not meant to be malicious by intent..
it was to say, that if she/he feels the need to go on a forum, and listen to anonymous replies,
then they need to find someone they trust..which is obviously not that guy..

he obviously prefers working with another product..

we work with traffic quite often...and at first, i do recall my guys struggling with it a little..fast set times etc...
so, yes, this can cause "streaking'...OR BRUSH MARKs....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:34 pm 
Valued Contributor

I agree that the OP doesn't' have confidence in who she met .But going on a forum can be helpful because 50% of the time, you can get some straight answers. I've learned tons of useful things on the internet .

But getting back to traffic, it has the same pit falls as other water borne finishes and it takes some serious finesse to make it work. But when I work with it , it comes out dynamite and performs better than any other companies product I have tried.I worked for a guy for many years that couldn't do a nice coat of water base and always had an excuse for it.But like some people, he chooses to spread mis information about the products to make himself look good and the product bad when it is he that stinks.

Profile E-mail