Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for advice about cleaning and maintaining
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:23 am 
New User

Hello all.
I just moved into a new house with wooden floors, and they seem so untouched and shiny that i don't want to spoil them with my madskillzz of cleaning inappropriate.
I've googled some special vacuum cleaner for hardwood, polishes, maintenance tips, but i am a copywriter so i know how those articles are written. (by people who know nothing about the topic usually)
I will appreciate any information you can link me with about maintaining, moping and vacuuming wooden floors, cause it seems this is just the forum with just those people i need.
Thank you in advance.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Looking for advice about cleaning and maintaining
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:37 pm 
Prized Contributor

A vacuum will help with household cleaning, curtains, fabric and some dusting, but is not necessary for floor maintenance. You can use a swiffer to tack the floor. The electro-static charge will pick up tiny dust and you can slide larger heavier pieces of grit to an area that you can pick up with a damp rag or a vacuum if you have one..
Keeping the grit that you bring in from outside off your floors will be the first priority. Door mats can help trap grit when they are walked on. Keep these clean with a vacuum or put them in your washing machine once in a while. Grit will sift through.
Water soluble dirt can be removed with a commercial wood floor cleaner thinned with warm water using just enough to lift the dirt. Detergent will lift oils and cooking grease. Be sure to "rinse" well with a dampened rag until the suds are gone to prevent residue from attracting more dirt.
Some things need a stronger solvent like paint thinner, like wax or asphalt or tar.
It helps to know what type of finish is on your floor. Since it is so shiny you probably have a hard film like poly-urethane. When it gets dull and when you clean it it looks like new when wet, but dries and looks worn or dirty, you will need to apply another coat of floor finish. Do not use a floor polish which will make it difficult or impossible to get a coat of floor finish to stick without pealing.
If you take care, the finish will last as long as you live in the house. I recommend stocking feet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Looking for advice about cleaning and maintaining
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:48 am 
Newbie Contributor

Following information will be helpful: :)

Keep in mind: don't immerse your wooden floors with water. Water ought to be utilized sparingly with completed wood floors and finished maintained a strategic distance from when cleaning incomplete wooden floors.

Do this on regular basis: vacuum wooden floors utilizing the delicate brush connection. Customary upkeep will keep your floors looking incredible on an everyday premise, so you just need to give them an intensive wash about twice per year.

Also Take care of following things:

DO expel any pools of water in the wake of cleaning – a lot of water can drench into incomplete wood and between the splits of completed wood, empowering rot.

DO open all windows in your home to enable the floor to dry quicker in the wake of cleaning. On the off chance that you have platform fans, put these close-by to expel overabundance dampness from the air.

Try not to utilize standard wax to clean your floors subsequent to cleaning unless you need to transform your home into an ice arena.

Try not to wear shoes while you're cleaning your wooden floor as follow measures of earth joined to the soles will essentially fix the greater part of your diligent work. Rather, wear socks or clean delicate soled shoes.

Profile E-mail