Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for Pictures/Advice on Ash versus Redoak
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:27 am 
New User

Not sure if the photo gallery is the right place for this, but i'm looking for pictures of Ash floors - deciding between Red oak and ash "Vogue" grade, both stained the same. The ash is much cheaper (5.65 versus 6.30 - which translates to a difference in of ~700 dollars in materials) and i'm told the grain is very similar - but i'm worried there might be too much variation in color in the ash? It is sooooooooooo hard to tell with the tiny samples available - i need to see an entire floor done. Also can't tell how much variation is in "Vogue grade" the product (Eterna Prefinished" is available in Select & Better, Vogue, and Tradition - so Vogue is the middle grade - but how does that look in Ash? From what I can find on NOFMA grades, ash is VERY VERY uniform in select (fas) but starts to get more and more light/dark variations as you head down the grades. Oak seems to be less dramatic - but I have no idea what Nofma grade Vogue is - #1 common? Select? #2 common?

Anyone have any pictures of stained "vogue" Ash floors or could give me an idea if I'd be happy with ash vogue as a cheaper alternative to oak vogue?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:54 am 
Prized Contributor

You are on track, a middle of the road grade would be consider a one common. Ash takes stain more uniformly than oak actually does though Ash does tend to have more figure in the grain patterns. If it has a medium to dark stain than you as a consumer would have a hard time telling the diffence in grades or species for that matter. Small samples are notorious for being misleading so just be aware as you go down in grade the more variation in color there will be, I acually prefer a floor with a little life to it, when they aer clear as a bell they tend to be too contemporary for my taste.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Looking for Pictures/Advice on Ash versus Redoak
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:29 pm 
New User

Just wondering if you found a picture yet..we have Eterna Homeland Ash picked out for our new home..the flooring isn't completed yet..but if you found a picture I'd love to see it and if you are still looking I can post a picture when our floors are completed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Looking for Pictures/Advice on Ash versus Redoak
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:46 am 
Prized Contributor

Man i gave out that advice and info almost 6 years ago, man where does the time go?

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail