Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for suggestions for hardwood for my situation....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:33 pm 
New User

New to the forum, and am about to install some click and lock engineered hardwood in a small room (less than 150 sq ft) of my house. I have a dog that is between 20-25 lbs that will be in the room pretty often. I prefer to have a lighter color of wood, the planks to be somewhat narrow, maybe 3.5" or less, and I plan to float the floor. Any suggestions on what would be a good choice (brand, species, finish, etc.)? Any choices out there that would have the proper hardness and finish that would resist scratches from the dog?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Looking for suggestions for hardwood for my situation....
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:32 am 
Worthy Contributor

This is a common question and the short answer is that there is no hardwood floor out there that will completely resist scratched from dog nails. More rustic grade material can hide the scratches better, as would a wirebrushed finish. You would want to keep a touch-up marker handy.

Best advise is to walk your dog regularly to wear down their nails on the sidewalk, and also trim them as necessary.

Alternatively, Vinyl plank flooring looks a lot like hardwood floors, but is much more resilient to moisture and wear and tear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:51 am 
New User

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I do walk my dog every day on the sidewalk in our neighborhood, and also plan to keep her nails trimmed. And she is not very aggressive and active at all. I realize there are not any that are completely scratch resistant, but I think I will be ok as long as I get a hardwood that is pretty high on the hardness scale, has a good finish, and maybe like you said, one that maybe has a rustic/distressed look.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:49 am 
Prized Contributor

The harder the wood, the less denting you can expect from dog claws.
A floating floor is recommended to be made from 4.5 inch width and wider so the weight can be supported better. The hardest flooring made is strand bamboo, which is more than 3 times harder than red oak. It will hold up to dog claws.
Scratches are caused by grit and unprotected furniture legs which can be prevented.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:45 am 
New User

and I thank you for the reply sir.. I look on other forum sites but no one answer like yo do... :D :D
some of them just want to promote their items..hehee

Profile E-mail