Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for transition advice. Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:48 pm 
New User

About to install wood flooring and looking at transitions between wood floor and tile as well as a section of hallway flooring that will run perpendicular to main floor.

1. I have three tile sections, entry, kitchen and fireplace (see pics). Assuming the height is pretty flush between tile and wood floor, is T molding required? I assume so to allow expansion and hold down floor, but I have seen many images with a flush install that looks much better. I pulled up a small section of carpet to see check height, it looks pretty flush. But tile is not always at the same exact height, but once I lay my first board, if it looks uneven I can always go with a T mold transition.

2. The main flooring will run from front to back of house, but hallway will run perpendicular. I think it looks better that way, but I’m not 100% opposed to keeping the same direction. I attached some pics I found online that show what I’m thinking of doing. I really don’t want to install T molding since it looks tacky.

Please take look at the pics and let me know your thoughts on transitions from tile to hardwood, and the perpendicular transition at hallway. I personally like the flat transitions and if there is an issue later I can cut them out and install a T-molding transition.... thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.https://www.flickr.com/photos/191675773@N07/shares/Ct90WA

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Looking for transition advice. Thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:00 am 
Prized Contributor

T-molding was invented for laminate floors and some designs of engineered flooring which expand in both directions when used as a floating floor. This gives a small expansion gap between other flooring to accommodate the expansion as the flooring moves.
I never use a T-molding when I install wood flooring that is fastened in place. I have been laying floors for over 40 years. Solid wood flooring does not expand lengthwise. Between wood flooring and tile I leave a gap half the grout width which is then filled with a foam backer rod and sanded caulking colored to match the grout color as floor grout usually has sand in it.
I find that a T-mold will show wear of the finish a lot sooner than the floor next to it and be a constant maintenance problem in the long run.
T-moldings will usually need to be shimmed so they can be fastened correctly, which is another problem.
If you are installing a floating floor, you need a T-molding or bull nose reducer at the edge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:30 am 
New User

Unfortunately it is floating. Regarding expansion, is it less of an issue with engineered hard wood and weather? I live in Sacramento and the weather is not too extreme. Plus the wall sides will have a 1/4” gap all around. If I go w/o the t molding and see an issue later, can’t I just cut it out and install T molding? Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:57 pm 
Prized Contributor

So what happens if the flooring decides to shrink? Are you going to fasten the floor where the reducer would have been? The reducer with expansion gap will cover both options.

Profile E-mail