Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:55 pm 
New User

I thought about Santos but it does cost a little more than I wanted to spend. I tend to like the grain of the Cherry better. That and I think Santos is darker than Cherry when Cherry is at its darkest but what do I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:53 am 
Worthy Contributor

Floorguy wrote:
Marco, it says that very same thing in the NWFA Manual: Wood Species: Jatoba / BC

I figured that later, I don't have the manual here with me. What was interesting was looking at the various manufacturers using the same chart to sell their wood. Some would include that paragraph about the realities of some the exotics as the NWFA sees it, but many would just use those numbers to tout the stability of BC (19% more stable than oak!) while conveniently not mentioning the little disclaimer.
I'm wondering what the species guide says about it.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject: How did it go
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:37 pm 
New User

Let me number my questions for easy reference.

1. Hugabone, did you finally install the floor and did you use a border? Got pics?

I wanted to do the same thing.

2. I was wondering why mitered corners look stupid. I thought I wanted to do mitered corners until I read a couple remarks about it looking stupid.

3. I know stairstep but what are English corners?

4. Also, I was wondering about a nailer. With the amount time borders would take I thought I might get by with the manual Porta-nailer 402. I had in mind Bolovian Rosewood which I know is extremely hard. I figured I may spend a month to get the kind of results I want, what with me being a newbie and all.

5. I wanted to align my diagonals to be parallel to my bar counter. If I should start the field in the middle of the floor as I have read, how do I ensure it is parallel to the bar. Will a tape measure and a square be accurate enough that I don't get to the bar and be short of parallel to the bar?

Thank You for your support.