Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Loose fitting matching of custom milled plank.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:01 pm 
New User

Greetings.
Looking for guidance on how to proceed with a poorly milled batch of cherry plank flooring. The groove was mistakenly milled oversized. Top surface of groove closely matches top of tongue. But bottom of groove is approx 1/32" too low, resulting in a lot of slop. Widths are 4,5, and 6". Lengths are 8' - 10'. Roughly 1200 sf.

I am an owner-builder who provided dry, rough lumber (a rather exceptional batch of cherry sawn from 3 large trees, yielding mostly clear, wide, and lightly figured lumber, free of sapwood and much of it rift and quartersawn. It was intended for the main floor of my own home.

The local mill who did the machining has been sympathetic and concurred with my belief that installing as-is would result in a lifetime of squeaking. They have offered 2 solutions:

1. Install in reverse, ie., fasten with staples thru the bottom of the groove, while also applying adhesive between plank and subfloor. They offered to supply the staples and adhesive and apparently have mocked up a trial.

2. Return entire batch to the mill. Rip off the groove. Send thru moulder again to machine proper groove (although boards will need to be fed upside down to avoid feed-roller impressions on top surface of flooring.

I've no experience with stapling flooring, only familiar with the traditional mallet-powered nailer. I suspect much tediousness in stapling, getting the boards tight without benefit of the mallet and angled nailer, and splitting of the thin wood below groove. Also should note, we'd prefer not to face-nail or screw-and-plug this particular floor.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or guidance from the experienced.

From western Pennsylvania,
David

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Loose fitting matching of custom milled plank.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:52 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
2. Return entire batch to the mill.

That was my thought after reading the first paragraph. Glad they accepted the responsibility. I'd prefer nailing as well. Staples can hold boards too tight.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:23 pm 
New User

Looking ahead for a dry day to return lumber to the mill.
Thank you Ken.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

I'd love to see pictures of that rare floor!

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail