Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Major scratches on newly refinished Bona floors!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:40 pm 
New User

hoping for some advice...we are putting our house on the market this week and had our 10 year old oak hardwood floors refinished. We used a highly rated dustless refinishing company to refinish them. We were out of town for for a week while they were being refinished with the Bona system using the Bona Mega product with a satin finish, they are a natural oak color also. I'm not sure if its the natural wood or if they used a similar light stain to match the steps and banister? Upon returning home 4 days after the refinishing they looked AMAZING, like brand new floors! We were so excited with the results. However, yesterday our cleaning lady vacuumed the floors with a Dirt Devil hardwood floor vacuum and upon returning home our fabulous floors are RUINED. there is not one square foot of floor that doesn't show light scratches and roller marks from the vacuum! It's a TOTAL mess, it makes me sick. Yesterday, the floors were 6 days after the refinishing was done and they are so incredibly scratched everywhere you look. These are not deep scratches but light surface scratches, like almost anything could have done or that the finish is defective or soft somehow. We immediately called the flooring guys and while they agreed that a simple less than 3lb wand vacuum shouldn't have done that kind of damage that they actually recommend waiting 2 WEEKS to lay rugs or vacuum Bona Mega refinished floors to allow for complete curing of the finish. Of course they NEVER mentioned that to us until now, even when we asked them for any special care instructions and how long we should remain off of them afterwards. They sent us a care manual that didn't say a word about it either?? Had we known that we certainly wouldn't not have vacuumed them.

They came to see the floors this AM and agreed that something was wrong with the finish of the floors that they would need a complete re-buff and new topcoat applied to fix the issue. Luckily we have not paid them yet and intend on having them fix the issue after we move but we hare HIGHLY disappointed and it is clear that something wrong with the Bona product they used or in something they did during application. Does anyone have any thoughts, advice, knowledge of this happening to others with Bona? People should be able to vacuum their floors a week after refinishing with no problems, RIGHT??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Major scratches on newly refinished Bona floors!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:35 pm 
Valued Contributor

sounds like your House cleaner isnt giving you the whole truth..

did they use it in carpet mode? was the wheel stuck? is there something sharp?

the only way to vac a floor is with a floor brush/felt attachment only.

its really not the contractors fault that an outsider damaged your floor.
I don't understand that mindset at all.

you want to blame him because he didn't tell you this or that but the actual people who did it are off the hook?

didn't you say you were away when they completed? they went on to other jobs because that's what we do.

you had the floors for ten years and now you don't know how to keep them maintained properly?

the reality is no one here can tell you what if anything is wrong.
inferior finish used? maybe//maybe not..

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Major scratches on newly refinished Bona floors!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:11 am 
New User

Bona is a great product! We use Bona all the time and never have had finish failure. Customers need take some responsibility for the care of their floors. I am dealing with a lady that is blaming me for damage to her floors because her dog urinated! To make it worse, we just finished the floors and 1 -2 days later the dog urinated. Customer told me I should have provided a better finish because she has dogs! I used Bona Traffic anti slip finish. I told her I did provide the best finish. I just didn't know she lets her dog pee in the house. Bottom line, you can stain and scratch concrete! Now she is badmouthing me and Bona.

Profile E-mail