Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Maple Floor Disaster
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:22 pm 
New User

Hey guys could use some feedback on a foor project in my new house. We hired someone to refinish our maple floors and the first guys did an awful job so the GC brought another guy in who seemed to know this was a bad job and that he could fix it. Well I'm pretty disappointed in the job. There are swirl marks everywhere, and the poly or whatever it is looks like wet paint streaky like it didn't cure properly.

I've included a link to a bunch of pictures. It's hard to see in the photos but I tried my best to get a bunch of angles.

I know maple is hard to work with but I just can't decide if it's the maple or they guys doing the work.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A1GY8gBYGxRisP

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Maple Floor Disaster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:05 pm 
Prized Contributor

I'm sure glad I don't sand and finish. That said I don't think it's that awful. You can look at site finished floors all day and find issues in reflective lighting and according to the wood God's rules that don't count. Neither does using a magnifying glass on you knees.
Maple is the hardest wood to stain from what I hear and then to top it off you picked a dark stain.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Maple Floor Disaster
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:32 am 
New User

we just finished over 5000sqft of first grade maple with Duraseal Dark Walnut. It is as clean as any prefinished floor! Maple is I think one of the hardest floors to finish and especially stain. I have been in business over 20years and after a few bad experiences I stopped staining maple. Well, when this job came up I did my homework and it was great! First we started with 80 went to 60 and back to 80. Always use a premium paper ( red heat or 3M regilite ). Then used bona multi disc, screened with red heat 150grit, water pop next day rag on rag off. Scratch marks are very difficult to remove if you cut to deep. That's why we start with a closed grit

Danny
Signature Hardwood Floors
Baltimore MD

Profile E-mail