Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: maple laid & sanded! advice on finish/removing scratches
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:18 am 
New User

got my floor all fitted , what a slog but amazing !!! 2.25" maple . remind me to get wider boards next time lol ! im a total flooring virgin and couldnt of done it without reading all the pros tips on here , its the BEST !

anyway ive sanded over with the big hired machine , and ive had some light surface scratches left probably moving in the direction of sander . you cant feel then even with your nails , and you cant see them realyl . but if you get close with a light on an angle really close up you can see the light scratches and im sure they will be more prominent if i varnish so im not about to do that yet !! but despite a good bit of sanding , they dont want to come out easily if at all by hand or with a small hand held orbitol etc . they are like scuffy marks , ive tried fine grit paper and it takes some out but takes hours . infact with the ones ive got and speed they come out by hand with a sheet of paper , i think ive got about 10 nights work a few hours a night ;-( not good .

so how do i remove them ? re hire machine and sand , use a big 12x18" finishing sander , or just slog it out by hand . if its what it takes by hand i dont have a problem in doing it [god i started cleaning boards and prepping for job over 6 months ago so what is another 10 days on hands and knees !] . but im sure by use of right paper , machinery , and any products or tips i can do this soooo much faster .

so guys , how do i get rid of them and get the flawless finish i need pre varnishing ..

finally , is it an oil based varnish i need , and do i need any pre treatment like barrier seals ? i was thinking 3 coats of oil based varnish with a days drying in between each one , and a light buff polish over in between each one with soft buffin cloth .

looking for good expert advice [as per usual on here] - thanks to all of you ;-)
rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:54 pm 
Prized Contributor

A multi disc orbital, like a Trio, or Superbee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:27 pm 
New User

hi floorguy

thanks for the tip , so can you tell me as im in the uk is this one of them ?

http://www.hss.com/g/5432/Floor-Re-Finish-Sander.html

thanks for the help much appreciated matey
rob

Floorguy wrote:
A multi disc orbital, like a Trio, or Superbee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:20 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

The sander you posted the link to is a type of orbital and will work. For maple flooring, I'd recommend using 100 grit sandpaper. Then after that, 120 grit sanding screen. Vacuum and clean the floor thoroughly, then apply your sealer/finish. Follow the directions on the labels that are on the finish containers.