Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Matching New Wood with Old Wood
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:16 pm 
New User

I recently had some remodeling work done and had a doorway widened. When they did that, they added three new pieces of wood under the opening. The house was built in the 1950s and the rest of the floors are original. I had someone polish the floor, but now the three new planks still look different than the original wood.

I am being told that to make the new wood match the old wood, I would need to re-sand and refinish the floors on the entire level of the house, but I do not want to do that given the high cost, the dust that would be created, and because I already have furniture in the room including a piano (and it is a small house without a lot of places to move it). Also, I like the color of the floors and they generally look good so it seems silly to refinish the whole thing.

Any advice on how I can make the new pieces of wood blend in a bit better, short of re-sanding and re-staining all the floors? Or maybe it is just something that I should live with, as I hear when the floor ages it's likely to blend in better. Am curious to hear any thoughts.

You can see a photo here: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vir3 ... 0/wood.jpg

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Matching New Wood with Old Wood
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:47 pm 
Prized Contributor

The new ones dont even look stained to match at all.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 pm 
New User

Yes - that's what I thought! I think the wood contractor just wants to make more money by re-sanding the entire floor but I don't think that's necessary. Do you think it's possible to make those three planks match better by just applying some more stain to them?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 pm 
Prized Contributor

You would have to sand them down first to apply stain. Somebody should have matched that up a tad better to begin with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:58 pm 
Worthy Contributor

The stain color is wrong...horribly. Needs to be sanded back off, re stained, and the finish doesn't seem to match either. Does it even have finish on the repair area?
They can mix colors to achieve a very similar color, it's just a trial and error thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:25 am 
New User

Yes, that is what I thought. It is aggravating when people don't do the job they promised and then try to get me to spend more money on refinishing the entire floor. Anyone know a good wood person in Metro Detroit (or is there one on this forum) that can help with this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:29 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I'd try to get them to re do it.
Or, you could rent an edger and sand it down, a palm sander would probably do it, but that'd be time consuming. Sand the finish and stain back off, if you use an edger then go over it with a palm sander afterwords to eliminate swirls, then hand sand with fine paper -220 grit. Clean up, stain, and coat 2 - 3 times.
Judging from the pic, you should start with real light colors- Minwax Golden Oak, Puritan Pine, something like that. Just get a few different colors, mix if need be to get the color you want.
When you get it stained, just brush on 3 coats of floor finish. I'd start with oil based satin finish, but I'm judging from the pic, could be wrong. After 2 coats, you'll know if the finish will have a similar sheen. If not, you can use semi gloss or gloss on last coat if necessary.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

I'd do some scraps first.

Profile E-mail