Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: matching sheen of original Bruce hardwood floor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:31 pm 
New User

I recently bought a house which had a section of the floor adjacent to the patio door in a pretty worn out condition. I decided this to be my first project after I move in.
Hard to say the vintage of the floor but I did find a box of engineered wood panels which match the wood flooring. Code on the box is ECW260.
I sanded the floors with 80, then 120 and finally 180 grit. Except for a few small 'mistakes' the floor feels pretty smooth to touch and the poly has been removed throughout. So far so so good.
I did a single plank test with minwax oil based polyurethane. Please see the pics with the arrow indicating the test plank.
Applied the first coat yesterday. waited for 4 hrs. then sand with 220 grit. Applied second coat. waited another 4 hrs. did another sand with 220 grit. And applied a third coat.
With each sanding a little amount of topcoat has been coming off. I gave it about 5-6 good passes with the sander and got the topcoat to an even looking color.
Now it's been about 15 hours since last coat and I can't say that the test plank has a gloss finish or matches the sheen of the original floor
Need the experts on the forum to tell me what my next steps should be.

Thanks
-Brian

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: matching sheen of original Bruce hardwood floor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:28 am 
Prized Contributor

The color looks good. It may darken and amber with time.If you can't match the gloss level, with the polyurethane you are using, you can get some semi-gloss
or satin and coat the whole floor. If you can get it to stick, you will add some extra wear layer.
You may have a problem removing the blue tape if you have been walking on it.
It is pressure sensitive so it sticks better with pressure. Blue tape can lift some finish coats.

Profile E-mail