Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Matching Sheen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:05 pm 
New User

About 10 years ago I laid a red oak wood floor in our kitchen as a part of an overall remodel. The floor looks great overall and has really held up, except for one 15 sq. ft. section by the refrigerator. In this section the boards are starting to cup to the point that if someone walks bare foot on the floor they might get a splinter. This happened very quickly, over the coarse of about a week or two.

I think this is happening because one board, a board that was much darker than the rest from the day I installed it, split. As a result, I think it is putting pressure on the surrounding boards and making them cup. There is no moisture from the refrigerator, so I really don't think that is the cause.

I plan to replace these boards, but I'm worried about matching the sheen. Currently there are 3 coats of oil based semi-gloss poly. on the red oak, but the sheen has faded over time. How can I go about matching the sheen of the new boards to the old boards so it doesn't look like a patch?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Matching Sheen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:37 pm 
New User

So just to update, I pulled the refridgerator back from the wall and guess what...water. A lot of it. I have no idea how it didn't come out into the kitchen so that it was visible, but when I pulled it away from the wall a few feet, there was water everywhere. In fact, there was water in the basement to right under the kitchen.

I would love it if anyone can help with the question I have. I basically want to know if I can ever match the sheen on the new boards to the sheen on the old boards? I really don't want it to look like a patch job.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Matching Sheen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:58 pm 
Prized Contributor

After patching the floor, which needs to be done over a dry sub-floor,you can sand to the edges of rows of flooring. Sanding from wall to wall will be best. If you have an island or can lay an area rug where you stop you will have solved the problem.
Coating the whole floor will make it the same sheen after first coats have built up the film thickness.
Putting the fridge back in place will help the sub-floor dry out from the warmth of the coils and the fan if the coils are on the bottom of the fridge near the floor.

Profile E-mail