Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Messed up uneven subfloor. Homeowner doesn't want to spend $
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:42 pm 
New User

Ok so the homeowner is set on doing SOMETHING. Anything! I told him numerous times to call a carpenter to figure out what the problem is. I think the soil is not draining enough and the whole house is sinking a bit. The driveway buts up against the side of the house and has low spots around the foundation, which could cause water intrusion resulting in structure sinkage.

House has an addition in rear with 2 sagging low spots. They are both about 5 feet wide, sagging 3/4" - 1". The guy insists he wants something done, but CHEAP. I told him you can't just put make up on it and walk away. Find the cause of the problem to fix it. Otherwise live with it and install floor over it. He says he is selling the house in 1 year or so, and just wants it to look good.

The first spot is under ceramic tile. Second, about 7 feet away, is at a transition between the tile and carpet (huge hump), which are both coming out for hardwood. There is no basement. Apparently just a crawl space, which is totally inaccessible! Apparently he blocked off the vents so we can't see what's going on under there. I figure I can shim it a little bit with roofing singles and install the floor over it. I really do not like the idea of roofing shingles. He does not like the idea of ripping the whole subfloor out to shim his joists.

I've read the stickies on leveling wood subfloors. Is there any additional info I could use? I've thought of self-leveling liquids but I wont be able to nail into it. I don't think it's a good idea to glue down 3/8" floors over this self leveling stuff either.

Any thoughts? (other than WALK AWAY from it LOL!)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Messed up uneven subfloor. Homeowner doesn't want to spend $
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:01 pm 
Prized Contributor

George wrote:
Any thoughts? (other than WALK AWAY from it LOL!)

I wouldn't stake my reputation or license on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:06 pm 
Prized Contributor

When you let a consumer dictate how your going to do your job, which is to do it to anything but standards and ethics, you have already lost the reputation you worked hard to achieve.

Never let an uneducated person, dictate how you do your job.

If the subfloor is out of whack, fix it to standards and give her a price to do so. They don't want to pay your price to do it right, walk.

Never lost money on a job I didn't do.

If you decide to go ahead, have a very specific contract and I mean very specific.

When they see you going at it with plywood a shingles, they may doubt your methods.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:34 pm 
Prized Contributor

Quote:
If you decide to go ahead, have a very specific contract and I mean very specific.

A very specific contract will not always let you off the hook, if it comes to that. When the chips are down, you are looked at as the professional. Installing a job knowing that it will self distruct is not smart, it will haunt you, regardless of what you have in writing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm 
Prized Contributor

Floorologist wrote:
Quote:

A very specific contract will not always let you off the hook, if it comes to that. When the chips are down, you are looked at as the professional. Installing a job knowing that it will self distruct is not smart, it will haunt you, regardless of what you have in writing.

**This is meant to be a temporary installation, ONLY. Replacement to standards will occur: removal, disposal, reinstallation and material charges at our current pricing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:44 pm 
Prized Contributor

Floorguy wrote:
Floorologist wrote:
Quote:

**This is meant to be a temporary installation, ONLY. Replacement to standards will occur: removal, disposal, reinstallation and material charges at our current pricing.

Good luck with that one. I imagine it depends on the judge and part of the country. Not worth it to me :wink:

Out here it doesn't matter what creative disclaimer you write up. If your licensed, your bound by law for a year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:51 am 
Valued Contributor

Cash payment, and no receipt. Nothing with your name on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:25 pm 
Prized Contributor

jeff burstein wrote:
Cash payment, and no receipt. Nothing with your name on it.

Wear a mask,and drive a fast car. Warranty is as long as the driveway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:36 am 
Newbie Contributor

Never, never, never submit or have a customer dictate how they're project is to be handled. Even with a very specific contract if there is a problem it ends up being yours "in court". The court system will always defend the consumer you know better. Word of advice "don't do it!!! :shock: " :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:00 am 
Newbie Contributor

I agree just do it to anything but standards and ethics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:23 pm 
New User

with what you've mentioned it could be possible that there is no air flow in the crawl space, if the home owner has sealed all the vents like you said. This can cause the floor to rot from below, I would suggest finding a way to get underneath the floor into the crawl space and assess the problem or if you don't want to do that then tell the home owner to get a carpenter to do it. Personally I would try to get a look in the crawl space just out of curiosity. :lol: In the end I wouldn't do just any quick fix either, it's not worth the risk.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:11 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Either Walk away or..a semi simple fix would be to put a level across the floor note all the high spots. Then get a tripod laser level and set it at one end of the floor check the height between laser and floor and do same thing on opposite side. You takea 1/2" 3/4" piece of ply wood or whatever size and put that down. the next piece would be a few 16ths thinner and keep doing that until you get down to zero. Zero would basically be the top of the hump that's the levelist part of the house. Then just nail and glue the ply down. Bad thing is, it's expensive. If it's a big job and your making money on it, sometimes sacrificing a little of your own money isn't a bad thing. Small job...just walk away walk away fast

Profile E-mail