Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Metal Door Frames
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:06 am 
New User

Hi,

I have a problem! We've just installed new floating bamboo floors in our new home and the installation guys has left huge gaps (about 1 cm)between the door frames and the planks. All the door frames in our apartment are metal instead of wood, so the installation guys were unable to cut under the frame. They insist that these gaps are necessary - which I understand are need around the wall. But around the door frame as well?? Can anyone tell me how floating floors should be treated around metal door frames?? Should I insist that they replace all the planks around the doors and leave no gaps around the door frame?

Please help!!!! Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:58 am 
Prized Contributor

I undercut them, at an extra charge of coarse.

Your kidding me!!! They did a DIY hack job on your floor?

Someone was afraid to bid the job high enough to do it right!! Afraid to loose the job to a cheaper bid. Then they give you a less then professional installation.

I'd make them do it right, or sue them for the cost it takes to rip it all up and have it done right, by a true professional, that has the tools and know how and when to use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:18 am 
Worthy Contributor

Floorguy said it-the frame rails should have been cut. The gap along the bottom rail should be covered with a thin reducer or other trim.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:18 am 
Site Admin

I guess I'm a hack too :oops: I recall one job I did back in the nineties and didn't even consider cutting a metal door jamb. Isn't it a structural part of the building?

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:29 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

In many commercial and multi family buildings, metal is used to aid in fire prevention and safety. This includes entry doors, framing (studs) and door frames. The doors are a pre-hung unit installed after the framing and are not structural in the sense that they add integrity to the building's strength. The metal door frames are typically stamped steel and can be undercut without any consequences to the structural integrity of the door or building.