Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Microbevels when sanding
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:03 am 
New User

I did an estimate this week for a refinish on a prefinished hickory. The floor has microbevels and it butts to another room of hickory with that is not getting sanded (they changed direction of flooring there). I usually sand out the bevels but I am not going to this time because it will leave a height difference between the two floors. I want to re-microbevel the entire floor in order to maintain a consistent profile of microbevels across the floor. Is there a recommended tool I can use to remicrobevel everything? Thanks and I look forward to conversing with pros on here!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Microbevels when sanding
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:31 pm 
Prized Contributor

With bevels I apply paint remover with a catsup dispenser that has a small hole in the spout along the rows, which will soften the finish so I am able to scrape the finish before sanding. I hand sand the scraped area with 60 grit, then sand like normal. If some of the bevels sand out, no problem, but they will be almost gone when you finish with the big machine. Then finish to match the color of the adjacent room.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Microbevels when sanding
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:44 am 
New User

To re-microbevel the entire floor, a detail sander or a small handheld router with a chamfer bit could do the trick. These tools offer the precision needed for the job. For further discussions with fellow professionals, you might find valuable input on Husker Hardwood Floors.

Profile E-mail