Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Minwax super-fast drying gloss not curing after 2 weeks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 am 
New User

Hi Folks,

I applied Minwax super fast drying polyurethane (oil based for floors) gloss. It has been two weeks with fans blowing and humidity controlled. When I put kitchen chairs back (with felt pads underneath) after 2 weeks dry time they are still leaving permanent round marks in the finish.

I am about to call a pro and spend $1000 bucks to have this done right. Posting here is a last resort I called Minwax and got the party line....keep fans blowing. Can anyone help?

Details: Floor has never been stained. Floor was 7 year old super fast drying satin over red oak. I no longer like the satin and it looked bad so I cleaned and sanded the floor with 220 grit....wiped with Mineral spirits and let dry. Put the first coat on at 8 am......put the second coat on at 5 pm with no sanding.........I used lambswool and a bristle brush for corners etc. Can was mixed well.
The lambswool may have put it on thick in certain places I admit, but after 2 weeks marks still being made by furniture.....fans have been on continually for two weeks moving air over the floor. I waited 2 weeks before any furniture was placed back and still round marks from felt pads on chairs.

Is there anything I can do other than calling a pro? The floor looks like a mirror the only thing is marks are being left. I thought this stuff would be hard as a rock after 2 weeks . I have never done the 2 coats before without 24 hour dry time and then sanding before second coat. You can't build a better mouse trap and I'm afraid this no sanding is the cause. I would never recommend this method of 2 coats without sanding again.

Thanks for any help or guidance

Dan

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Minwax super-fast drying gloss not curing after 2 weeks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:41 pm 
Prized Contributor

super fast dry doesnt necessarily mean super fast cure time. Oil based takes up to 30 to fully cure when correctly applied. I dont like to hot coat oil based because of what has happened here to you. Give it two more weeks and hopefully time will save you a grand. One other way is to light sand the floor again to expose the first coat, give it a wipe down with spirts let sit for 24-48 hours and recoat.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:06 pm 
New User

Hi Kevin,

I guess I have nothing to lose, and a little inconvenience and I will wait 2 weeks to see.

BTW I did sand one of the 3/4 inch round spots the chair felt made and it gummed up when sanding so I stopped. It wasn't sticky
per se but it did gum up with 220 grit sand paper.

I will keep the air moving over the floor for 2 weeks.

Last year I used the same Minwax on a large floor at another property of mine and waited 48 hours and then sanded before 2nd coat. It came out really great. Really hard glossy finish (which is what I want).

Unfortunately this current screw up is the kitchen floor in my house and not an out of the way room. It looks fantastic I just need it to harden up.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:23 am 
Prized Contributor

probally got the low voc version this last time and the old stuff before (higher voc and better dry times in the old formula).

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail