Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mistake using Bona ClassicSeal over stain
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:13 pm 
New User

So I've started refinishing my oak floors and made a mistake. I sanded the floors, applied Verathane Classic Penetrating Wood Stain, then a coat of Bona ClassicSeal, followed by three coats of Bona Mega One. I was under the impression that the ClassicSeal could go over the stain as long as it dried completely. We gave the floors over 4 days to dry before putting the sealer on.

I'm writing this because while the floors look great, they seem to be too soft. It's been over 3 weeks so it should be completely cured, and I noticed that when I accidentally had a piece of wood fall off a chair it made a spot in the poly where it looked like it had separated from the floor. That seemed like it shouldn't happen, so I tested it with my fingernail and I can get the poly to peal off the stain (assuming the sealer is pulling off too) if I pick at it with a little effort.

I called the Bona help line and they said that they don't ever recommend putting ClassicSeal over any sort of stain, so that was the mistake.

So, my question is twofold. How bad of a mistake is this...i.e. should I plan on redoing the floors or just wait and see how much of a adherence problem there is? And secondly, in the future would it be best to just skip the Classicseal and put the Bona Mega One right on top of the Verathane after giving it plenty of time to dry?

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mistake using Bona ClassicSeal over stain
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:34 pm 
Prized Contributor

I always buff the stain after it has hardened. This will remove surface residue, like oil that has not hardened completely. If coating with a solvent used sealer I recommend #2 steel wool. If coating with a water-based sealer I would use a pad with a mild abrasive mixed into the fibers.
Go with the recommendation of the finish manufacturers.
I think that your adhesive problem means that you will need to sand to bare wood, again, for long term wear.

Profile E-mail