Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mixing flooring
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:13 pm 
New User

My entire house with the exception of my kitchen has the same hardwood floor. Of course we now want to do the kitchen in hardwood but the flooring has been discontinued and I only have about 95 of the 220 sq ft needed to do it. I ordered flooring that looked exact when I got samples of it but now that I have received the new floor it is a bit different. Any advice on what to do? Still attempt to mix the old and new? Install all and have them sanded and refinished to hopefully match old floor? Pull flooring from closets and use in kitchen and then put new floor in closet (I assume this would be costly)?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mixing flooring
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:12 am 
Worthy Contributor

It really depends on the type of flooring - most manufacturers will have slightly different milling and while the stain/finish might look the same, they won't necessarily fit together for proper installation, and you'll see overwood/underwood (raised and uneven boards).

A solution to this is to install some thresholds at the doorways to the kitchen and install the new material against that. Not as ideal as the complete weaved in replacement, but since that's not possible, this is a good option.

Removing floor from closets is also an option (I've had to do this in similar cases) but you are right, it is time consuming which increases any labor cost.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mixing flooring
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:28 am 
New User

My issue is that I have enough of my original floor to do about half of the kitchen so I was hoping to not have to purchase enough new flooring to do the whole thing. I was looking to mix in with the old flooring as best as I could but it is seeming as though this may not be an option.

Profile E-mail