Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: modernizing hardwood floors. help!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:38 am 
New User

This is probably a long shot, as I haven't seen anything online about it. But for my bedroom in my new house, I'm trying to go for a modernized gothic Victorian feel. Not even sure what the wood is to be honest but the home was built in 1906 and is in Indiana (if that's at all helpful) And I have a few ideas that I've got questions about, one isn't even pertaining to a floor but wood in general. But anyways, I want a very dark wood floor, with no amount of a brown tint to the grain, all the ebony stains I've seen still have a brown or golden glow to them. But I don't want solid black either, I'd like grey or almost silver grain in black. I've looked at how to's using iron acetate and I'm thinking that's the way to go, however I've seen some almost straight black, others solid grey, and some that still looked brown afterwards... I couldn't however find anything showing an ebony stain done after the iron acetate, is that because the two wouldn't mix? Or would the combination just turn all black? Another idea I had would be to make it solid black and then fill the grains with a purple glow in the dark resin/epoxy, would anyone know the best way to do something like that? that wouldn't give the entire floor a purple color? And as for the off floor question, I want all trim, baseboards, crown, and wainscotting to be silver but still show the wood grain, would a silver spray paint on unfinished wood give me that look? With a polyurethane finish on top? Any and all helpful or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: modernizing hardwood floors. help!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:32 am 
Prized Contributor

You can experiment to get the color of floor stain you like. Protect it with a clear non-yellowing finish.
The paint on the base boards will need to have a clear finish to keep the paint from wearing off or chipping. A water-based poly-urethane or acrylic finish will work.

Profile E-mail