Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moisture Check
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:55 pm 
Prized Contributor

Is this the correct moisture content for this oak engineered floor at this temp and rh? Is this method of pinning from the back acceptable? :wink:

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Moisture Check
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:47 pm 
Prized Contributor

I dont have the book in front of me but it's pretty close. if those pins are 5/16 like my meters are its getting accurate core readings. Was the reading different when pinned from the top? I feel as f I am being set up for some reason. Of course almost everything I know is related to solid wood. Im actually in the middle of reading hoadley's book on understanding wood right now and I'm really looking forward to the parts on laminates, and by laminates I dont mean the hdf stuff.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:07 pm 
Prized Contributor

What do you think of that LM product. If it were sliced instead of peeled it would be the bees knees but I guess its a price issue. All of the LM we sold went out the door and never came back, witch btw is a good thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:01 pm 
Prized Contributor

Thats a good book Kevin. The LM product, Kendal plank was so so for rotary peeled. Never had a problem with it so far. Even the hickory.

If the engineered is totally made of oak why would it matter if it was solid or not? Species correction chart.....why would I ever set you up? :wink: It's (the MC and rh) a tad high for my zone but that leads me to another question. If it's floated and glued...will the floor swell and shrink at the same rate rather than if it were fastened or glued?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:28 am 
Prized Contributor

Cant tell that much about the backers plys makeup from here but if they are oak your right it shouldnt matter. I also forget your in the desert that is a little high especially for the time of year. FLoaters will move more than any nailed or glued floor simply because they can. It should shrink and swell under the expansion as a panel where your mechanically fastened floors show the movement between each plank.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:47 am 
Prized Contributor

Yea, I do lots of floaters out here mainly because of the cost of adhesive. These people leave for the summer so I educated them on the AC and left extra expansion. Plus I used T-s in the bedroom doorways which I usually don't like to do.

I prefer to have home owners get a humidifer and bring the temp and rh up to the woods median preformance level, rather than dry down to the zone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:20 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

wood mfg out at 6% to 9% so according to Wood Handbook this temp and humidity is right one. However that is for wood IF the backer is the same as the veneer fine but it is the moisture content of the veneer that is important. All kinds of wood are used for the laminated part. As an example the Wood Handbook at 30% humidity states solid wood 6.2% but plywood at 4.6% and OSB at 2%.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:15 am 
Newbie Contributor

I agree with KevinD ideas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:07 am 
Newbie Contributor

jim decker wrote:
wood mfg out at 6% to 9% so according to Wood Handbook this temp and humidity is right one. However that is for wood IF the backer is the same as the veneer fine but it is the moisture content of the veneer that is important. All kinds of wood are used for the laminated part. As an example the Wood Handbook at 30% humidity states solid wood 6.2% but plywood at 4.6% and OSB at 2%.

Exactly what I was thinking, Stick the pins in the solid wood part and in the direction of the grain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:09 am 
Newbie Contributor

How can you tell from the pic that its the bottom of the board? Some mills have the tongue and groove on opposite ends, its not common but I've seen it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

jim decker wrote:

Well, is solid wood the same as plywood? Do they mean hardwood plywood or softwood plywood? :mrgreen: Is the wood on the back of a hardwood engineered soft wood or hardwood? It certainly is not OSB. heh heh

Profile E-mail