Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moisture cure or oil based poly
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:54 pm 
Newbie Contributor

We are planning to refinish our harwoods at the beg of April while we will be on vacation for a week. I have had quotes that use 3 coats of oil based poly and another quote using moisture cure. Some have said the moisure cure is very toxic. We will be gone from Sunday to a Sunday and they will take from Monday to Friday and at the latest Saturday to do the whole job. We have a 3 year old and a baby on the way. Bordering between 1st and 2nd trimester when we do the job.

I am considering the moisture cure as I heard it will hold up to traffic and wear and tear better than the regular oil based poly. We have a 30lb Beagle who likes to skid across the floor now and I don't won't to go through with this project only to be disappointed that the dog is going to scratch up the floors chasing toys that are thrown by our 3 year old.

We have a pickled finish on our select red oak right now and we are sanding and going with a natural finsih. Any feedback is welcomed as i have have no idea which way to go. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:30 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Both those types of finishes have solvents in them that can be harmful if absorbed in higher amounts. And both of those will continue to off gas for awhile after completion of the floor. Which is worse to infants is not my area of speciality. However, if it were me, I would choose a tough waterbased finish that will cure faster and lesson the environmental impact. My choice would be Bona Traffic. I can't say if Traffic is tougher than moisture cured urethane but it is tough, and tougher than oil based. If you can thoroughly air the house out for awhile prior to re-occupying it, that would be best, regardless of which finish you choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:16 am 
Newbie Contributor

I don't think any of the quotes have been for water based poly. I will ask them though. Between the moisture cure and oil based poly which is better. Some have said they don't do the moisture cure for 2 reasons, it is harder to apply properly and it is very toxic for the installers. My concern on the toxic side is will it be any more toxic when I return to the house on Sunday or is the toxic comment more applicable to when they are applying the moisture cure. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Moisture cure urethane is the more toxic of the two. It is harder to apply and is mainly used by guys who have been on the biz for a very long time, it is harder to apply and is harder than oil based ploy. A respirator is needed to apply it and can be very fumey even a day or so afterward. I have never used MCU but had a guy from NY do a bunch of work for us and he made it look fantastic and it was hard as iron, but it will knock you on your ass, without the respirator I had a pounding headache in 5 minutes. But it is a harder finish.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:17 pm 
Newbie Contributor

This particular company has been in business over 20 years and they said they know how to install it and that is pretty much all they use. I will probably go this way if the price is right. Let's assume they finish on Saturday. My family(pregnant wife between 1st and 2nd trimester), 3 year old and myself will be back about noon on Sunday. If we walk in the house will we have any toxicity issues to deal with. I don't want to put my family in harms way. Maybe a question only installers of this can answer because I'm sure this is a common scenario when doing this work. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:41 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

There will be lingering odor. How much depends on how much flooring is in the house that has been refinished and if they can leave windows open to ventilate the interior. You will need to exchange the interior air with fresh exterior air. If they finish the floors on Saturday and you come in on Sunday and the house has been closed up tight, it's gonna smell pretty bad. I don't think I'd want to hang around too long until the finish has completely off-gassed. You are rightly concerned about your pregnant wife. Those fumes are pretty strong and can make one sick. I wouldn't risk it myself. Why not ask the company doing the work what they recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:08 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for your input Ken. I'll wait for them to give me a price and ask them about the toxicity then.