Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Monte Bello Flooring
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:39 am 
New User

I have been looking for 3/4 nail down Walnut hardwood flooring. I first came across Mirage and at $11/sq ft it was way off our budget. I found a similar floor by Monte Bello flooring but cannot find any reviews - good or bad -- but at somewhere between $7 and $8.50 per square foot it is much more affordable. I am wondering if anyone has used this manufacturer or has information on the company other than what appears on their website.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Monte Bello Flooring
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:01 am 
Prized Contributor

Well, not knowing the area you are in, I cannot comment on the price of the Mirage flooring.
I can tell you, however; that MIRAGE was traditionally produced in a proprietary grade they referred to as "Exclusive". In real flooring grade terms, this amounted to a "Millrun" grade; which allowed for a greater range of colour variation. This is especially noticeable in woods such as Walnut and Cherry.
Recently, they have removed the term "Exclusive" from their labelling on all products; allowing them to put whatever they want in the carton. (And they do).
I was always a big fan of their product, but this has forced us to out-source to other manufacturers for high grade flooring.
To put this in perspective, Mirage flooring accounted for almost one million feet of our sales and installations in 2008. This is sure to be dramatically less this year.
All in all though, Mirage milling and quality of finish is second to none, so if these are important for you, consider adjusting your budget. This is a one time expense and you should pro-rate the additional cost over the period of time you expect to be walking on your floor.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:06 am 
New User

Hi Dennis - Thanks for responding. Can you comment on the Monte Bello flooring or Fores Flooring?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:27 am 
Prized Contributor

I have no direct hands on experience with Monte Bello. I do know that it is an American Company and havent heard any negative comments. They profess to warantee their products for 50 years, a ludicrous proposal at best. Price should be good and quality appears to be fine from what Ive heard.
Fores is a Canadian (Quebec) producer, using mostly American raw material. They are a global supply company and very competitively priced.