Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: OH NO! Mop 'n Glo on Hardwood Floor
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:05 pm 
New User

We recently pulled up all the carpet in our house and had our 70 year old red and while oak floors restored - they were not damaged enough to need refinishing, mostly surface scratches. I have (after the fact) learned that the person buffed the floors using Mop 'n Glo. I have no idea what to do now. Can anyone help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:55 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Mop N' Glo is a liquid acrylic wax, usually used on vinyl flooring. I never heard of anyone buffing it. One typically just "mops" it on, as the name implies. Perhaps they waxed your floors because the floors were already waxed, which is very common and normal for 70 year old floors. That would be the normal and proper way to maintain them IF you did not want them refinished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:59 pm 
New User

Thanks, Gary! So how should I maintain the floors now that they have the Mop 'n Glo on them? Do I damp mop with water or what? I know you are not supposed to use Mop 'n Glo on wood, so how do I keep them looking good? Sorry for all the questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:51 pm 

I guess you'll need to continue using it till you get them refinished. Dust, vacuum, sweep, no mopping. Mop N' Glo again when they show wear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

Gary,

If the floor was Stain/waxed:::
Would the mop/glow simply peel off? I'm wondering if they really have mop/glow on the surface .....

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:38 am 

Mop n' Glo is an liquid acrylic wax. If there were a very heavy build-up of paste wax, it may not adhere. I can't conjecture IF the person asking the question got the information wrong. All I know is they said Mop n' Glo. Dede could call the person back who "restored" them and ask more direct questions. Like, "Exactly, what product was used? How was it used? How was it applied? What procedures took place? Were the existing floors stripped first?" etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:42 am 
New User

Hi, Gary. I am absolutely sure it was Mop'n Glo applied with a buffer because it was my brother who applied it! Oh well. Anyway, do you think I should try a corner and see if it will peel off or leave bad enough alone? Thanks again for your contribution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:56 am 

Dede,

If you try to make it peel, what would be gained? You would just know that it's going to come off, causing you stress. I'd leave well enough alone and see what happens. Odds are, it's going to flake off in tiny bits and get scratched off over time. To make it look better, you'll start using more Mop n' Glo. Nothing that is mopped on is going to give you the long term durability off a properly applied commercial hardwood floor finish.