Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: More dry time
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:35 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have been picking up bigger and bigger sand jobs lately and have a problem:when final coating houses with lots off offset areas and surrounding rooms with no cut off points the poly "flashes" too fast and causes streaking shiny spots. I know I'm not putting it on too thin, I get the finish to room temperature and I shut down all air flow when coating.
So my wonder is if there is an oil based polyurethane with more field time. Better than woodarmor or masterline? I like the field time of poly var but they're satin looks like a semi gloss.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: More dry time
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

i have never heard of any of those finishes..

don't mean nothing though as I am in NJ and we have stringent VOC compliancy laws.

from what you are describing it sounds like application error or mixing error..more likely the first..

sounds like you are fresh starting out. before you blame product, take a look at what you are doing.

you can add thinner to allow more open time, but honestly, any oil finish remains open long enough to go back sometimes 10- 15 minutes later and make a correction with no ill consequence

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:34 am 
Worthy Contributor

You might have to consider adding a crew member just for the finals, to keep the cut-in times reasonable. Masterline is a good brand, in my opinion. I don't know that you're going to find an equal oil poly that's got significantly more open time than the 10-15 minutes, but maybe someone knows of one. For short amounts of time, I'll sometimes keep two wet edges going, and I move back and forth between them until I can get back to an area with clear boundaries.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:05 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Ya I have been on my own for 2 years now but have been refinishing floors for 10 years. I don't know if it's because of the cold weather. I don't recall having this problem in the summer and I am shutting down all air flow when coating.

Profile E-mail